Talk

Advanced search

Nurse: "probably just stop [bf-ing] altogether at this point."

(8 Posts)
PterodactylTeaParty Fri 09-Jan-15 18:03:32

I've been breastfeeding since 9 month old DD was born. All gone pretty well. But I have had some health problems of my own (unrelated to birth, just bad luck), so have been in contact with a lot of different NHS staff, and I am getting really fed up with some of the advice I've been getting.

Most recently: Speaking to hospital nurse about one antibiotic I might (hopefully won't) have to take, a 7-day course. I contacted the BfN drugs helpline about this drug; they said a relatively small amount passes into milk, and the drug itself is licensed for infants too, plus it should be out of my system 12 hours after each dose. LactMed says it's fairly safe. The InfantRisk people say it's fairly safe. So I thought, ok, I can keep feeding.

But the hospital say no - the manufacturer says breastfeeding isn't recommended, so if I need this drug I will have to stop breastfeeding for the full 7 days. Or, as the nurse put it, "probably just stop it altogether at this point."

And before this it was an operation under GA where I was told at the pre-op assessment I'd have to stop feeding for 24 hours after. (I asked to speak to the anaesthetist, anaesthetist was hugely bf-supportive and said it was fine to feed as soon as I came round, but if I hadn't challenged the first info I'd never have heard that.) And before that it was the GP telling me I'd have to stop feeding for 3-4 days because I had a vomiting virus. And before that it was the HV telling me it was a big problem that newborn DD was 'snacking' (= feeding hourly).

I am so glad we've been able to bf this long, but it makes me feel really strange and sad to be put in a position where I feel like this weird breastfeeding-obsessed woman about it if I don't want to stop the second there's any kind of possible problem. Get your act together, NHS sad

littlesupersparks Fri 09-Jan-15 18:07:45

If I had researched and believed it to be safe then no, I wouldn't stop bf-ing. If it helps, I was very ill when my son was 9 months old and I couldn't feed him for at least a week. It took hardly any time to build up my supply again and I nursed until he was 2. Honestly, in your situation i would feed through it if you are well enough to do so but you have to balance up the risks yourself.

littlesupersparks Fri 09-Jan-15 18:09:16

Why on earth would you have needed to stop when you had the vomiting virus though?! Surely you would have been passing on valuable antibodies to stop baby suffering?!!

PterodactylTeaParty Fri 09-Jan-15 20:43:20

Not really sure why the GP thought j should stop with the vomiting bug - she said it as though it was obvious, and when I said the baby wouldn't take bottles and did I have to stop, she looked surprised and said "well, if you WANT to keep trying..."

The NHS website says to keep feeding though so I'm glad I did. Vomiting bug felled three people in the same house that week but the baby was totally fine.

TipTapWentTheCrab Fri 09-Jan-15 23:13:22

"Vomiting bug felled three people in the same house that week but the baby was totally fine." Great work!!

I am with you on these.

CaptainMorgansMistress Fri 09-Jan-15 23:21:02

I was amazed at how very poorly informed the vast majority of HCPs were about BFing when I was feeding my first - and how very many of them certainly didn't let a lack of factual, evidence based information put them off from giving specific advise!

In our case, I found it a useful learning curve for mothering an occasionally poorly child - ie it taught me to do my own research and draw my own conclusions, rather than just blindly following the advice of the doctor which I may well have done in the past. It also taught me to be a lot more assertive with HCPs about what is best for myself and my babies.

42bunnytails Fri 09-Jan-15 23:23:44

I'm afraid there comes a point when you look it up yourself and don't mention BFing to HCP.

squizita Sat 10-Jan-15 14:45:01

They're just covering their backs and they don't know so say no (I've had similar but luckily the HCP asked or knew who to phone).
As 2bunny says just do your own research and don't mention it if they don't ask.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now