Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Tongue tie just been clipped

(6 Posts)
AmandaTanen Thu 08-Jan-15 14:48:23

My 8 day old had a tongue tie clipped today, has never latched on and I have been pumping and then topping up with formula. Any tips to get her latched on? Lots of skin to skin?

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Thu 08-Jan-15 15:54:36

No tips but wish I had asked at day 1 when my 7weeks old was noticed rather than having to be referred now, he feeds n has gained weight but latches on n off.

Look at kellymom.com and follow normal positioning advice as if starting from scratch.

Ask midwife for support, should be a bf peer supporter n midwife or hv will have details or someone in their teams should be able to visit you at home and help.

Was it horrible having it done??

AmandaTanen Thu 08-Jan-15 19:51:44

We were in the treatment room for about 15 minutes, 10 of them were to make sure there was no bleeding. It was quick and not even a cry from my baby. The surgeon talked through the procedure and risks and then snipped.

DrownedGirl Thu 08-Jan-15 20:10:29

My 4th child had a TT snipped at 2 weeks old - it was another 3 weeks before he reliably began to feed directly. I had lots of help and support from various midwives. Skin to skin, baths together. We napped lying down in bed with me topless and him just in his nappy. At various points I thought we would never manage it.

We had some success at one point with nipple shields. Also trying various feeding positions.

Good luck, hope you can get someone round to help you

nyldn Thu 08-Jan-15 23:18:21

I agree on taking a bath with her! that proved successful after my son's tt was clipped. it was about 5 weeks before he was exclusively on the breast. we had to use shields to help move from bottle to breast.

AmandaTanen Sun 11-Jan-15 09:43:49

A support worker is coming round on Monday, and I'm seeing my community midwife daily, so lots of support. Have spent time skin to skin, will also try a bath. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now