Talk

Advanced search

Surely this is bad advice?

(8 Posts)
BabyHaribo Wed 07-Jan-15 19:27:01

Been in A&E with DD 5 months. She has chest infection, high temp and non blanching rash.

Also been doing very green very runny poos which I assume is because she so unwell.

Upon discharge Dr advised to stop all milk for 24 hours to rest her gut! I looked shocked as she is EBF so he then told me to replace alternate feeds with dioralyte for 24 hours.

I'm thinking this is bad advice and to ignore??

dementedpixie Wed 07-Jan-15 19:33:36

yes it is bad advice as breastmilk is not counted as dairy. Even up to date advice does not advise stopping milk and especially in a baby who is only having milk. I would keep breastfeeding and only give dioralyte on top if you feel she needs it

Tipsykisses Wed 07-Jan-15 19:43:24

I was always advised to continue breastfeeding through illness with both of my dc !

redcaryellowcar Wed 07-Jan-15 19:44:33

I think that's terrible advice. If your dd is still not well and you are worried please go back for a second opinion, the rash and high temperature would be worrying me. I think feed as much as she wants, as if she stops wanting to feed its another indicator she is feeling really poorly.

overandoverand Wed 07-Jan-15 19:47:42

Go back and ask to see a different doctor. This sounds really bizzare. What was the explanation for the rash, because isn't that a symptom of meningitis???

BabyHaribo Wed 07-Jan-15 19:56:02

Sorry I should have said they diagnosed chest infection gave antibiotics.

Rash is most likely due to virus but I must go back if it gets worse or she gets worse.

I was happy with everything they did - except the crappy breastfeeding advice

dementedpixie Wed 07-Jan-15 20:13:00

the antibiotics may also contribute to runny poo. I would definitely ignore the bf advice and feed as normal

addictedtosugar Wed 07-Jan-15 20:13:46

I'd go to KellyMom for bf advice in the absence of a trusted, informed health professional.

They say BM is the best thing, and better than dirolyte, so I;d stick with feeding, and not use the rehydration sachets.

Sorry your daughter is ill. Hope she recovers fully soon. thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now