Talk

Advanced search

If we both have a tummy bug will I still make enough milk if I don't eat?

(5 Posts)
bronya Wed 07-Jan-15 11:09:25

Question in title really. More worried about having enough milk for her - she is two months old and pooing once an hour at the moment. HV said to keep an eye on her dehydration levels. I can always not eat to fix myself once she is better, can't I?

Showy Wed 07-Jan-15 11:12:54

Same as with your baby, hydration is the key thing, not for making milk but in order to feel well. Having a stomach bug is dehydrating and breastfeeding can be dehydrating too if you're not replacing fluids. You should follow the same advice as if you weren't breastfeeding. Drink plenty of fluids and eat if you feel like it. Breastfeeding won't be affected by your bug and breastmilk is the absolute best thing for a poorly baby.

Do you know dehydration signs in a baby? Feed feed feed and hopefully, you'll both be better soon.

mummypig3 Wed 07-Jan-15 11:12:57

Make sure your getting enough fluids and maybe try toast or biscuits while your ill. Thats all i could keep down when ill and my milk was still ok

Imeg Wed 07-Jan-15 12:59:47

I had a vomiting bug and didn't eat anything for 36 hours and then very little for the next 24 hours. I felt terrible but no issues with milk. Watch out for feeling faint, esp if holding baby.

Imeg Wed 07-Jan-15 13:02:53

PS While I'm generally quite sceptical about some of the claimed breastfeeding benefits, I think gastrointestinal bugs are one of the situations where there is a logical case for it making a difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now