Talk

Advanced search

EBF baby and pooing

(15 Posts)
HungerKunstler Wed 07-Jan-15 02:36:34

My 2 month old still poos very frequently through the day, anything from 4-8 squirty mustard-like poos a day. At least 1-2 a day are very runny and leak through her nappy. While I expected this with an EBF baby for the first few weeks, I had understood that EBF babies poo more early on but then settle into less frequent poos, maybe once a day or even less. It was one of the advantages of bfing that I was looking forward to! Was I misinformed? grin

My 3-year old was mixed fed and then FF only from 8 weeks and I don't remember him ever having so many runny poos so often and definitely by 8 weeks he had settled into 1-2 poos a day. It was a lot less work! The amount of laundry piling up is getting craxy...so when do the non-stop runny BF poos decrease?

Saritabean Wed 07-Jan-15 03:44:21

Sounds normal enough, as long as she's feeding normally and gaining weight well. Every baby different and some just poo lots for a while!

Graciescotland Wed 07-Jan-15 05:18:37

That was very standard for DS1 he had uber runny poos that would come out at what I can only assume to be karcher like pressure, reaching from ankles to the back of the neck in seconds. I never left the house with less than three full changes of all clothes. DS2 was a once a dayer both EBF. I think DS1 grew out of it at about 16 weeks.

FarOverTheRainbow Wed 07-Jan-15 05:23:48

My DD BF and had an explosive poo after every feed until she was on solid foods even then she still had a couple a day

HungerKunstler Wed 07-Jan-15 07:11:24

Sounds like there is a lot of variation in the range of normal for EBF babies then. I'm just surprised because one of the benefits of BF as it was 'sold' to me was the fewer nappy changes and 'cleaner' poos that aren't as rank as FF baby poos. So much for that...!

Pointlessfan Wed 07-Jan-15 07:15:17

I think they smell less than ff. DD was ebf until she started solids and nappy explosions were pretty normal until she was eating a decent amount of food.

Imeg Wed 07-Jan-15 07:27:40

I'm afraid mine was still doing at least 4 runny poos a day until he started solids... Sorry! I do know other people whose babies poo much less frequently, but I think it is really variable.
It's true that they didn't really smell until solids, I suppose a silver lining of him pooing so much before is that even though the poos are much smellier now I appreciate them being firmer and less frequent!

Imeg Wed 07-Jan-15 07:29:24

PS I did find that the poos tended to escape out of the nappy more when he was in between nappy sizes or ready for the next size: there tended to be less leakage when the nappies fitted better.

McBaby Wed 07-Jan-15 07:45:48

Dd2 pooed after every feed till we started solids and now at 9 months still poos 3-4 times a day.

FoodieMum3 Wed 07-Jan-15 10:51:38

DS is almost 4 months EBF and does 4 -6 poo's a day.
2 of those are explosive and 1 usually requires a vest change sad

I have a friend whode bf LO pooed once a week, on a Sunday lol.

Kurololi Wed 07-Jan-15 11:02:16

My ebf baby was having 4/5 poos a day up until about three months when he suddenly just stopped pooping. I was worried sick for two days, took him to a pharmacy for advice and everything but pooped as soon as we got home and now only poos every 3-4 days. I didn't realise it would just change so suddenly!

HungerKunstler Wed 07-Jan-15 15:25:01

It did occur to me too that she might be due to go up a size in nappies, Imeg because of the leaking so good reminder for me to buy up a size next time.

Oh well, off to change DD's nappy -again!

flipflopsonfifthavenue Wed 07-Jan-15 19:42:33

Sounds normal. Both my DS were pooey babies whereas my nephew uses to poo once every ten days... All ebf.

DS1 leaked out of his nappy every. Single. Time. DS2 did a poo that escaped to his shoulders the other day.

Mmmmmmm maybe it's something about the way I'm doing up nappies...hmm

squizita Thu 08-Jan-15 17:38:25

I was told it varies wildly! From one a week to one per feed!! shock Asda nappies are a godsend to a messy pooper though!! grin

LostMySocks Thu 08-Jan-15 20:58:29

My DS pooed for England. My cloth nappies were the only thing to contain it. However when I used disposables I still used the nappy wrap which prevented explosions. Still had to wash the wrap but saved nasty stains on clothes and loads of washing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now