Talk

Advanced search

Dropping last BF before stopping completely

(5 Posts)
Minesnotahighhorse Tue 06-Jan-15 21:06:58

DS is 14 months and EBF - he has never taken a bottle, but will happily drink water from a sippy cup and has recently started to guzzle cow's milk too. Cutting down BF has happened fairly naturally over the last 4-5 months and we are now just having one feed a day first thing when he wakes up at 7.
I am planning to stop completely as feel it is time and also would like to TTC this year (I know BF doesn't necessarily inhibit, but my period hasn't returned yet and I would like a bit of time not BF or pregnant!). DS seems to be losing interest anyway and while I will miss the cuddles and closeness, I am definitely ready to stop.
So, my question is - can I just stop now or do I need to take any extra precautions? Is there any chance of mastitis given that I have just been feeding him once a day for the last 3 weeks?
Anyone been in a similar situation - how did you drop the final feed?

katemeister Tue 06-Jan-15 21:14:57

I'm in exactly the same situation but yet to drop the final morning feed, we've been down to one feed for two weeks. Was planning on giving it two
more weeks then stopping, although DD has come down with a vomiting bug today so may have to reintroduce a feed. Good luck stopping, was so surprised how easily the bedtime one was dropped, hoping the morning is the same!

Babytalkobsession Tue 06-Jan-15 23:17:05

I was in this situation until last week. DS is 14 months and was down to 1 BF a day (5pm after nursery pick up). He also has cows milk in a bottle first thing & before bed but that's another issue!

I just distracted him some days, so straight into high chair for snack after nursery, maybe some milk in a sippy cup. Some days he had a little feed from me, others nothing. I found I was engorged a bit initially, but would offer him a feed for just a few mins and that was enough to make me more comfortable.

I was just saying to my DH I can't actually remember when I last fed DS! It must have been last week and I've had no issues with my boobs. I kind of expected the last feed to be monumentous but it's gone by completely unnoticed smile. He must have been ready.

You could always hand express a little each morning to make yourself more comfortable? But in my experience your body will react pretty quickly.

anothernumberone Tue 06-Jan-15 23:22:23

You can just stop and only express if you get uncomfortable although I would say it is very possible that won't happen. Your cycle will probably return soon one way or another I think mine can back about 17 ish months even though ds was still feeding pretty regularly so the fact you have cut back should speed things along.

Minesnotahighhorse Wed 07-Jan-15 10:17:03

Thanks for all your replies! I think I should be fine, as I've never had any discomfort when dropping feeds in the past. I feel very lucky that stopping has been relatively easy and has not distressed DS, I wouldn't have believed it possible 6 months ago!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now