Talk

Advanced search

If you didn't enjoy BF the first time round, was it easier the second?

(4 Posts)
weeblueberry Tue 06-Jan-15 16:15:29

Am due DD2 in 3 months and intend to breastfeed as long as I can again.

Last time I really didn't enjoy it. I EBF for 5 months then introduced a bottle at certain times which quickly (quicker than I'd anticipated) became her only milk.

I didn't find it difficult to feed her and seemed to have plenty milk. I also didn't have any pain associated with it - I just....didn't enjoy it. I felt quite beholden to her because I couldn't express (am hoping to get more support for that this time round though...) but then I think the whole 'having a new baby and lifestyle revolving around her' really impacted how strongly I felt about the feeding. I sort of resented the fact that I was the only person on beck and call for her and that my life was taking a sideline to it. I know that sounds selfish but obviously since then my attitude has changed.

I'm just wondering whether anyone else felt similarly the first time round but by the time they had their second, had relaxed into the whole 'giving yourself to someone else' and so found it easier?

CurlyWurlyCake Tue 06-Jan-15 16:22:55

I totally understand where you are coming from. Especially the beck and call of it all.

3 years on and I had my second, we she wouldn't give it up lasted 16 months. I spent lots of time reading with my toddler and feeding the baby. And became a pro at feeding and doing things at the same time which is something I couldn't get the hang of the first time round.

I think I just became more relaxed and trusting in myself.

I then went on to have a 3rd and only fed for a few weeks due to it being a while new experience - all 3 children are as healthy and as happy as each other smile

Best wishes.

Tranquilitybaby Tue 06-Jan-15 18:10:36

Much better! I bf for 12 weeks with DD and 14 months with DS as it was so easy! I got a great book called Bestfeeding which I read up on beforehand regarding positions, latch etc and a proper feeding pillow so there was no back pain.

I'm determined to do the same again this time round. Good luck

weeblueberry Tue 06-Jan-15 20:11:25

Thanks both for the reassurance. I'm hoping it just comes a bit more naturally both to do it and want to do it this time. I've already lost the freedom and do think that was a big part of it.

Going to look at a hospital grade pump initially and see if that makes a difference. I'd love to be able to pump milk and have loads in the freezer like my friends all seemed to!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now