Talk

Advanced search

Best bottles for feeding expressed milk?

(7 Posts)
Tranquilitybaby Mon 05-Jan-15 11:57:22

I'm going to breastfeed but want to also express aswell. What's the best bottles I should get?

Are the Tommee Toppee ones ok? Thanks

firsttimemumma2014 Mon 05-Jan-15 13:47:17

Hi - interested to hear what others think. I EBF my 11 week old DS but have been expressing so he can have the occasional bottle. I bought a steriliser/ manual pump & bottle set from Mothercare. It's an Avent one and I've got him on the smallest new baby teat (number 1). I did try him on 2 but he coughed and spluttered everywhere. I haven't tried any other bottles so can't compare but we have got on fine with the Avent. I first gave my DS a bottle at 4 weeks btw...I'm pleased I did as friends who have waited longer have struggled to get their baby to take one.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 05-Jan-15 17:05:02

Teat manufacturers like to claim that their product is closest to human nipples.

It's easier to wait on expressing and bottle feeding for the first few weeks. And when you do use bottles, it's best to buy ones that are easy to clean.

Haggisfish Mon 05-Jan-15 17:06:27

Dr browns are great. They have a special system so it reduces air being swallowed, too. Used them with both ebf babies.

squizita Tue 06-Jan-15 11:51:25

Don't buys all one type to start with!! It's a very personal thing. One baby will only get on with one brand, another with another... another won't be fussy.

But very annoying if you've spent £££ on Avent or Dr Browns as they're the "best" and it turns out baby prefers £1 boots own brand (a friend had this happen and have also heard of it via Mumsnet).

My two pennies is that most "breast mimicking" marketed bottles have huge, hard teats that LOOK like a breast to the adult eye - but are not always comfortable for a tiny baby. Remember they are going to suck differently anyway so looks are not that important. Texture was for us though: we tried several brands and Lansinoh from mothercare with a soft latex teat was clearly the winner! smile A slow flow teat is best.

Also try each bottle with cold, room temp and then hot expressed milk (warm it in hot water or a bottle warmer- NEVER a microwave) as temperature can make a difference. Also, they need to learn how to suck a bottle so try over a few days ... it can suddenly click.

I offered my baby a bottle after 3 weeks, for me that was 3 weeks after good breastfeeding started - I wouldn't try before that as you don't want them to get a bad latch. Let them learn one then the other! smile

squizita Tue 06-Jan-15 11:53:42

Lansinoh have a similar air reduction thing as hagfish mentions, too.

https://www.lansinoh.com/products/momma-bottle-with-naturalwave-nipple

I also find their pump more comfortable than my other one (Avent). Mothercare sell them.

Tranquilitybaby Tue 06-Jan-15 16:54:29

Thanks everyone. I won't start expressing until supply is established but I like to research in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now