Talk

Advanced search

How long does it take for supply to reduce?

(10 Posts)
shortfatsally Sun 04-Jan-15 23:23:19

DD has a horrendous cold and has been sleeping and virtually unsaleable for the past 24 hours. My breasts have been leaking and sore as I am so used to feeding her at regular intervals. I am putting her on the breast and she is taking a few sucks then falling asleep.

I can only express from each breast while she is sucking on the other, so BF and expressing go hand in hand for me. It's both or nothing.

I am worried that my supply will reduce. Does 24-48 hours of less BF mean that it will?

shortfatsally Sun 04-Jan-15 23:23:42

Unsaleable = unwakeable

AnythingNotEverything Sun 04-Jan-15 23:27:17

How old is she?

shortfatsally Sun 04-Jan-15 23:32:15

6 weeks

AnythingNotEverything Sun 04-Jan-15 23:40:59

It might do tbh. I was hoping you'd say a few months when your supply would've settled.

When she starts again, feed and pump as often as you can to try build your supply up again.

Watch out for soreness or lumps which could be blocked ducts or mastitis starting (feels like the start of flu apparently).

Is she eating/drinking anything? Is she rousable? I'd be seeing a doctor tomorrow of she's not eating, sooner if you're struggling to wake her. Small babies dehydrate quickly.

AnythingNotEverything Sun 04-Jan-15 23:42:31

Have you seen a doctor at all? I'd actually be quite worried about a 6 week old unwakable baby.

I don't want to panic you, but at the very least I'd call 111 tonight and get some advice.

Does she have a temperature? A rash?

Frecklefacedgirls Sun 04-Jan-15 23:43:14

If DD is only 6 weeks, barely feeding and unwakeable over a 24 hr period I would worry about her getting dehydated and would consult a doctor I think.

shortfatsally Sun 04-Jan-15 23:50:57

She's feeding little bits and her temperature is 36.6 so it is ok. She feeds for 5 mins then stops, then vomits. I have managed to get a couple of ten mins feeds into her today without vomiting and she's had two wet nappies.

Normally she cries all afternoon and all evening and she has been silent all day and very, very sleepy. I can wake her by stripping her off and making her a bit chillier but I don't really want to do that when she has a cold.

Do you think I should call the doc? Or go tomorrow morn?

milkjetmum Sun 04-Jan-15 23:55:25

I would go to out of hours if I were you. Hopefully she will perk up and have a good feed as you wait to see a doctor but better to be safe than sorry.

AnythingNotEverything Mon 05-Jan-15 05:22:15

If you haven't done so already, I'd be seeing your GP today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now