Talk

Advanced search

How do I get breastfed 5 month old to take a bottle?

(4 Posts)
BiancaDelRio Sun 04-Jan-15 20:24:29

DS is almost 5 months and breastfed.

I've just bought a Medela pump and used it for the first time tonight. We're using the bottle that came with it.

DS is hungry. He's tired but not massively so. We've been trying for half an hour and he isn't having it at all sad . I've tried brushing the teat up and down against his lips to elicit a rooting response but no go. I've tried sucking a tiny bit and then putting it into his mouth so he tastes the milk and then hopefully sucks but he doesn't.

Is there any method for getting a breastfed baby to take a bottle? Do some brands of bottles/teats work better than others? Have I left it too late? DD breastfed till she was 2 and was a bottle refuser he whole time. I was hoping to get DS to take a bottle so that I could have some semblance of freedom.

Help!

FoodieMum3 Wed 07-Jan-15 10:57:35

My ds is 4 months and completely refuses a bottle (of bm)! I've given up and will try a sippy cup at 5-6 months.

Worth a try?

Some people try various bottles, teats etc. I tried 2; avent and tomee tippee and ds was having none of it.

Borka Wed 07-Jan-15 11:02:55

I did it completely the opposite way to what people normally suggest. Gave DS a full breastfeed so that he wasn't at all hungry, then gave him the bottle & he accepted it. Sounds really counterintuitive but maybe worked because he was already feeling contented.

NerdyBird Wed 07-Jan-15 11:47:15

That's interesting borka. DD has occasionally taken a bottle but generally refuses so I will try your way next!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now