Talk

Advanced search

Reducing BF's - how much milk should I be giving?

(5 Posts)
Writerwannabe83 Sun 04-Jan-15 14:01:25

DS is 9m/o and had four BFs a day between his three meals. He also has about 10oz of water a day.

I'm going back to work soon and so I want to wean DS off the breast do he's only having it at morning and before bed. My concern is how much milk should he be having during the day to make up for the two missed feeds?

I obviously have no idea how much milk he takes when he's BF'ing so have no clue as to how much I should give during the day.

His only other intake of milk at the moment beside his four BFs is the 4oz of cow's milk he has with his breakfast.

Can anyone offer me any words of advice or experience?

Artandco Sun 04-Jan-15 14:04:29

I would think with x2 breastfeeds a day, that will be fine as his main Milk source ( he will be more like 10/11 months I assume by the time you return anyway)

Then give him a milky breakfast like porridge. He can be offers cows milk in the day in a cup if he wants more milk as he will still be having main feeds from you

NickyEds Sun 04-Jan-15 20:43:25

We night weaned DS when he was 11 months which took him to 2 (bottle) feeds a day. He might sometimes have a cup of milk with one of his meals( I always offer one) but he seems to prefer water. I was a bit concerned about his milk intake so asked the hv and she said it was fine. It's not milk per se that they need but calcium. Does your DS eat well? Ds is an excellent eater so I just make sure he has plenty of yogurt and cheese to make up for the milk. When he was dropping the feeds i replaced them with little snacks mid morning and mid afternoon so he didn't get hungry.
I don't know as I wasn't bf by then but you may find the comfort aspect (or if he needs to feed to nap) harder with a bf baby though??

Writerwannabe83 Sun 04-Jan-15 22:28:33

He will be just under 10m when I return to work.

Thankfully he doesn't need feeding to sleep - I started addressing that a few weeks ago in preparation for him starting with the CM who I'm assuming won't be BF'ing him grin

Today I cut out one of his BF's and gave him 3oz of EBM via a beaker instead which he took fine.

Today he's had a BF when he woke up, 4oz cows milk with his breakfast, 3oz EBM, a BF after his afternoon nap and a BF before bed. He's also had about 8oz of water throughout the day.

He's a really good eater and has cheese and yogurt everyday. He's also having the ABIDEC vitamins.

NickyEds Mon 05-Jan-15 10:32:54

That would be one hell of a childmindergrin!

I think that amount of milk will be fine. Leave some ebm with the cm so that he can have a beaker with his meals and make sure he has plenty of cheese/yogurt etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now