Talk

Advanced search

Weaning 17 month old - advice needed

(3 Posts)
mrsbun81 Fri 02-Jan-15 19:48:32

I'm a single mum to a BF 17 month old and really want to get him off the breast and sleeping through the night but don't know where to start! He has slept in my bed for the last 8 months after a very stressful breakup with his dad. He is at nursery 4 days per week so I only feed him at night but he frequently wakes during the night to suckle and I'm exhausted and would really like to be able to sleep through! He has never taken a bottle or dummy but will drink milk from a sippy cup. I have tried to give him this but he refuses and the only way I can settle him is to let him breastfeed. The thought of making him cry it out terrifies me and usually I'm so tired anyway I just give in so that I can get back to sleep. Does anyone have any advice? I'm wondering whether to just stick it out until he grows out of it but am I being unrealistic to think that will happen on it's own? I know I can't go on for too much longer but what is the best way of weaning him without too much stress for us both?

CanISayOfHerFace Sat 03-Jan-15 09:26:13

I'd be interested in the answers to your questions too so bumping for you. We're in similar situations but my DS is 10 months and I'm not back to work for another 2.5 months.

callamia Sun 04-Jan-15 13:30:55

I'm currently working on night weaning my 14m old. He eats well in the day and feeds at least twice. I am just not feeding him between bedtime and 5:30am. When he wakes he can come and sleep in our bed, but there is no milk (despite his best efforts). He does cry a bit, but I'm right there, so he's not alone. The crying hasn't lasted very long so far.

Once we've solved this, then I'm going to work on bedtimes. He still generally feeds to sleep (except if I'm out or he's at nursery), but this is becoming less effective... It's all a work in progress, but I'm starting to feel more positive about it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now