Talk

Advanced search

4 month old won't finish bottles

(15 Posts)
Mmolly2013 Fri 02-Jan-15 08:35:28

I try to give her 180ml which she has took many times but past few days she will only take 100ml then fights me with the rest sometimes it would take her an hour to take the last bit

Any suggestions why she would be doing this

dementedpixie Fri 02-Jan-15 08:39:47

Maybe she doesn't want any more so stop forcing her to take the rest. Have you tried a faster teat?

milkjetmum Fri 02-Jan-15 08:42:58

I agree just follow her lead, maybe she took 180 in a growth spurt but is happy with 100 now.

Mmolly2013 Fri 02-Jan-15 08:45:20

She's on a sIze 2 teat.

dementedpixie Fri 02-Jan-15 08:47:29

The age on the packets is a guide. My ds used a 6+month one before 6 months. It may not make a difference anyway

Fairylea Fri 02-Jan-15 08:49:13

I'd just let her have whatever she wants. Do you always want every last bit of your dinner? smile

Just feed on demand and throw away what isn't wanted.

Orangeisthenewbanana Fri 02-Jan-15 08:49:32

Agree, try with the different teat. Don't force her to take what she doesn't want. She might be feeling a bit under the weather and just be off her food? Any temperature?

ThinkIveBeenHacked Fri 02-Jan-15 08:54:56

any suggestions on why she might be doing this?

Errr....she is full grin

Mmolly2013 Fri 02-Jan-15 08:55:58

No temperature but she has came on loads development wise this week. She learnt yesterday to roll onto her tummy and flip back over again so she keeps doing that. Maybe is was a growth spurt before

Mmolly2013 Fri 02-Jan-15 08:58:10

There's no need for all the sarcasm I'm only asking for advice because she was taking 180ml for at least a month she slowly drank more each month as she was on 160ml before so it's not as if she went from 100ml to 180ml.

omama Fri 02-Jan-15 09:04:10

How often do you feed your dd? Do you feed on demand? I did with ds til he naturally fell into a 3 hourly routine. I would look at the clock & think yeah its about time & get a bottle ready automatically, whether he asked for it or not. He would aways drink it.

One day his feed volumes suddenly reduced. Took a few days for me to realise he wasnt actually all that hungry after 3hrs anymore so I left him to demand feed again & we moved to 4 hourly feeds & the amount he would take at each feed increased again.

Perhaps something to consider if the other suggestions dont sort it out. Hth

Branleuse Fri 02-Jan-15 09:07:09

give her smaller bottles

Heatherbell1978 Fri 02-Jan-15 12:08:41

My 18 wk old has just moved onto bottles after refusing the breast for weeks. He seems to only eat about 3/4oz in the morning/early afternoon and then late afternoon/evening he'll take 6oz and DH gives him about 6oz in his dream feed at 11pm. I'm just going with it just now and trying to feed roughly every 3 hours. Feels like he's not getting much during the day but he seems happy enough and there's plenty wet nappies.

Chunderella Fri 02-Jan-15 16:10:10

They don't always want to eat the same amount every feed. At her age, it's also possible she's teething- that sometimes explains a reduced appetite. I wouldn't worry, as long as she's still having at least 20oz formula a day.

Doje Fri 02-Jan-15 16:17:53

Could be teeth? My little fellas appetite used to drop when they were coming through. I think he found the teat uncomfortable so only drank what he really needed.

I used to get really worried when his appetite dropped ( ill, or teething normally) but you can't force them (I tried at times, but mine would just vom it back up!!), and I suppose just trust they won't starve themselves. It's not day though! I still hate it, but easier now he's 10mo and on solids too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now