Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Is this too 'grown up'?

(9 Posts)
Katie2489 Wed 31-Dec-14 15:19:47

MIL was round today when I was giving 14mo DD lunch - a basic cheese omelette - and said how it's a 'very grown up' lunch and talked for quite a while to DD about how grown up it was and asked me if she had ever had it before etc. is this true? I never thought of an omelette as being grown up. I've made her loads of omelettes since 6-7 month ish. She eats them fine.

CMOTDibbler Wed 31-Dec-14 15:21:27

What a bizarre thing to say! Has your MIL not seen her eating for ages and still thinks of her eating puree?

AmantesSuntAmentes Wed 31-Dec-14 15:25:29

Eh? confused omelettes and frittatas are an easy staple in our house. I can't remember when I started mine on eggs but I certainly wouldn't consider an omelette too 'grown up', purely because it was an omelette!

Katie2489 Wed 31-Dec-14 15:26:50

She sees her every month or so! Thanks for your reply. Suddenly I was thinking I am damaging her by going her unsafe foods. I was really confused by it also but didn't want to ask her anything at the time incase it is totally obvious why you shouldn't give a 14 mo an omelette! Glad to know it's not just me.

Hurr1cane Wed 31-Dec-14 15:30:08

Wasn't she just complimenting you ok a child that doesn't just eat beige food? That's how I'd have taken it.

hubbahubster Wed 31-Dec-14 17:12:26

Eggs and cheese? Not, like, flambéd in brandy and finished with cream and smoked salmon? No, doesn't sound grown up at all! A staple in my house too, almost as soon as DS was weaned!

PurpleStripedSock Wed 31-Dec-14 19:28:11

A basic cheese omelet sounds like baby food to me! I never puréed anything when weanjng my DD. Your MIL would have been horrified as she's always eaten what Im eating. Wonder what she meant by it?

squizita Thu 01-Jan-15 20:32:40

I would say this to a toddler to flatter them eg "Aren't you clever having grown up dinner!" Rather than as a problem. Could she have meant it in a complimentary way - that it's good dd eats regular food not everything disney shapes or full of sugar?

BertieBotts Thu 01-Jan-15 20:36:23

Isn't it just a generational thing? Our parents would probably have fed us dippy egg and soldiers rather than omelettes, I don't remember ever having an omelette until I was an adult. Of course dippy egg is not recommended under 12 months now because the yolk is still soft! Times just change. I think it's normal to feed children a much bigger variety of foods now than they did in the past when you'd have children's food/nursery food and adults' food.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now