Talk

Advanced search

Lack of poo in bf 4w old

(8 Posts)
VeryPunny Wed 31-Dec-14 13:41:47

I have breast hypoplasia so may have limited supply - however this is my 2nd child and I generally have more milk.

DS is 4 weeks and has pooed about 15 times in his whole life. He is bf on demand with an ounce formula top up 4-6 times a day, as he was slow to gain weight and I have supply issues. He is not bothered by pooing, and his poo is soft and seedy, varying from green sludge to curry colour. Plenty of wet nappies, weight gain is fine according to HV, although I last had him weighed Christmas eve and can't get him weighed again until 6th Jan. Health visitors, GP all seem unconcerned but everything I read online says that he should be pooing more often. Should I be worried?

Thanks in advance.

tiktok Wed 31-Dec-14 18:58:02

All Sounds within normal. Lack of poo in a baby who is healthy and growing is not a concern.

VeryPunny Thu 01-Jan-15 11:14:54

Brilliant, thanks!

4yoniD Thu 01-Jan-15 11:26:52

breastmilk is almost 100% digestible. Most young babies don't digest 100% of it, slightly older babies having a growth spurt are more likely to. When their bodies decide to get the most out of breastmilk, there is just nothing left over to poo out. If you have slightly limited supply, baby is probably making the most of what he has.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 01-Jan-15 11:30:01

Exclusively breastfed babies normally poo more than this in the first weeks. But adding formula to the mix changes things - and anyway, if he was exclusively breastfeed and pooing like this, as long as his weight gain was good, it wouldn't be cause for concern.

PossumPoo Thu 01-Jan-15 11:37:59

Dd didn't poo much either, I did have a supply problem and she did loose weight. I went to combo feeding around 8 or 9 weeks but continued to also bf her until she was 9 months.

The gp wasn't worried and I never had to do a night nappy change ever, but it can be worryingly!

PossumPoo Thu 01-Jan-15 11:39:50

Worryingly confused. I mean worrying smile

ithoughtofitfirst Thu 01-Jan-15 14:43:48

My ebf 9 week old dd doesn't poo much. Every 3 days or so. I haven't even mentioned it to my hv because I think she massively overrreacts to things as it is and she would just worry me. I can see she is fine and it isn't bothering her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now