Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should I stop trying to give one-year-old milk? He blatantly doesn't want it.

(4 Posts)
puntasticusername Tue 30-Dec-14 20:50:38

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread! Apologies if it isn't. I put it here because it is about milk smile

DS2 has just turned one year old. Until 7m+ he was very happily EBF, and never liked drinking milk out of bottles. We tried all the bottles, all the cups, all the formulas, cow and goat milk. Hot, warm, stone cold. Given by me, given by DH, given by PIL, given at nursery. Nothing. He's just not interested.

I had to stop bf at 9m or so for the sake of my own health (needed to start taking ADs for PND), and since then we've done our best to get as much formula (cow's milk, since 1yr) into him as possible, by hook or by crook - cereal, porridge, custard, yogurt, sauces, adding it as liquid to aid blending of any meal eg pasta. This has worked reasonably well - he gets nowhere near the usual 1pt a day, it's nearer half that even on a good day. But he eats really well, has a varied diet of largely home-made, nutritious food, and has vitamin drops daily.

We also offer him a drink of milk at bedtime, as one usually does. Occasionally he'll go crazy and drink 2-3oz but usually, it's just one or two mouthfuls and then he pushes the cup away.

I've mentioned the milk thing to every HCP we've ever seen - they've all given him a careful look over, before pronouncing him absolutely healthy. He is generally a very happy, exceptionally active child, and putting on weight as expected.

So. Would it be wrong for us just to stop even offering him milk to drink before bed, seeing as he's clearly not into it? Should we replace with a drink of water, or a squeezy yogurt? He'd happily have the squeezy yogurt, but I'm worried about introducing something more sugary at bedtime - not least, because DS1 (nearly 4) will want one too!

What do you all think? Am I worrying too much about milk, when he does seem to be going on fine without it?

LuckyCharms Tue 30-Dec-14 20:55:27

My DD had absolutely no milk as a drink from 11 months onwards for exactly the same reasons. She's 7 now and doesn't seem to have suffered for it grin You can get dairy into them in other ways like you say.

Incidentally DD still doesn't like milk.

MinceSpy Tue 30-Dec-14 21:04:30

My DD refused formula or breast milk from 9 months onwards. With a very supportive GP we allowed her to stop dairy. She now eats a bit of cheese and yoghurt but no milk, we offer lots of calcium rich none dairy options. She is a healthy and very active child.

puntasticusername Wed 31-Dec-14 13:41:35

Ok, I am reassured. Thanks guys!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now