Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

6 week with cold - boiled water?

(11 Posts)
Sleepyhoglet Tue 30-Dec-14 19:21:59

My 6 week has a cold and is feeding a lot. Can I give her cooled booked water in a bottle to help her feel better? She is mainly breast fed with occasional bottle. Thanks for any advice

thinkingaboutthis Tue 30-Dec-14 19:23:36

Why would it make her feel better? Can't see how a bottle of water would be better than a breastfeed.

Sleepyhoglet Tue 30-Dec-14 19:25:28

Ok. Make me feel better! She must have caught the cold off me and I'm feeling rotten.

callamia Tue 30-Dec-14 19:28:08

Keep giving her breastmilk - lots of good stuff, help keep her energy up too.
BM has a high water content too, so you'll be keeping her well hydrated.

Lots of cuddles for both of you. Many sympathies, so horrid to have a tiny with a cold.

WishUponAStar88 Tue 30-Dec-14 19:29:12

I'm not sure it would make her feel any better tbh and might fill up her belly without the calories/ nutrients of breast milk.
My baby is older (12 weeks) but have found the saline nasal spray that calpol sell really good if that helps. It can be used from birth.

GotToBeInItToWinIt Tue 30-Dec-14 19:33:07

I wouldn't give water at 6 weeks especially to a baby with a cold. It will fill her tummy without giving her any nutrients, whereas breast milk will provide her with what she needs to fight the cold. Hope your both feel better soon.

squizita Tue 30-Dec-14 19:33:11

It's awful BFIng with a cold.
Personally I've heard water can lubricate stools which might make her thirstier in the long run. So I'd use expressed or formula if I needed a break in your shoes not plain water.
BFIng can help them get better as the anti viral antibodies you make get to the baby before the germs can dig in and mutate.

When I had a cold I literally stuck plugs of cotton wool with olbas oil up my nose, had 3 hot showers a day and drank a pint of water an hour! I fed little and often. It was still shit. But baby got a much milder cold than me thankfully. So all the washing and plugging worked!

Iamrandom Tue 30-Dec-14 19:33:19

Giving additional water isn't needed and may be harmful to some babies. This explains it nicely kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/baby-water/
Don't feel bad, babies get colds and she could have got it from anyone not necessarily you. She will get comfort feeding from you and, if congested saline nose drops are great. Hope she's better soon.

LIZS Tue 30-Dec-14 19:34:41

Just offer her feeds, little and often . If she is snuffly try using saline drops to clear her nose first.

squizita Tue 30-Dec-14 19:35:01

Saline spray is great for them.
Also baby olbas oil. I put it on a muslin under the bum/legs end of the moses basket and also waft a tissue with it on as per the packet instructions.

thinkingaboutthis Tue 30-Dec-14 19:35:26

Give her formula if you don't want to breastfeed, water will just fill her up with no nutrition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now