Talk

Advanced search

Difficult bedtime feed

(6 Posts)
flipflopsonfifthavenue Tue 30-Dec-14 08:40:00

DS2 is 7 wks and for past few weeks we've started a bedtime routine of sorts by which I mean DP and I take him and DS1 upstairs, DP does bath and bed with DS1 and I spend 2 hrs trying to get DS2 to sleep in spare room.

I've got a strong letdown and DS2 often coughs and splutters during feeds. Recently this has got better during the day but these "bedtime" feeds don't seem much fun for him. He often cries and repeatedly latches on and off. He never seems relaxed or peaceful and does a lot of doubling over, arching back etc. I think our timings are a bit out too as he's often over tired so lots of crying before I can finally get him to sleep with endless rocking, feeding, bouncing, etc on repeat til he finally goes.

Eventually he will often calm down and relax and have a. I've calm peaceful feed and he'll drift off on me and I can then usually transfer him to the Moses.

Any idea why these evenjng feeds are different? Less milk? His mouth is full of milk when he latches on and off I can see so don't know if its that. A bit of colic? Over tiredness?

PourquoiTuGachesTaVie Tue 30-Dec-14 08:49:55

Evenings are generally a fussy time for most babies I think. It certainly was for ds who was ff and dd who is bf.

SilverLinings2014 Tue 30-Dec-14 15:18:16

As pp said, it's common for babies to be irritable in the evening. They are discharging the stimulation of the day apparently. Cluster feeding in the evenings is also common and babies tend to have a growth spurt around 6 weeks so it all sounds pretty normal.

My DD is nearly 4 weeks and is often fussy at night. I've found bf'ing in the cradle hold actually makes it worse...lots of back arching, latching on and off etc. She is much better if we feed in the rugby ball position and better again if we go up to bed and feed lying down...might be worth a try?

flipflopsonfifthavenue Tue 30-Dec-14 16:10:13

Good tip re feeding positions thanks

Annarose2014 Tue 30-Dec-14 16:20:11

Nipple shields really helped me with this. Finally made it a peaceful feed.

However milk leaks a bit around them so a muslin tucked underneath your bra is essential. I have the Avent ones - they look huge but DS had no problem with them.

squizita Tue 30-Dec-14 20:09:17

I used to squeeze a bit off into a muslin before feeding. I also found just holding dd to me before feeding got her a bit chilled and calm before she drank.
DH always does nappy, wash or bath and sleep suit. He does it exactly the same and very low key before the feed- which also helps.
Do you use infacol? We had to for several weeks it really helped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now