Talk

Advanced search

Weaving baby from breast

(4 Posts)
Betsy1925 Mon 29-Dec-14 08:06:32

Hi all

After any advice for weaning my 11 month old off the breast?

My HV just said take it one feed at a time. That's it.

The problem I have is he was poorly for about 2 months and got into the habit of feeding to sleep. It's totally my fault but it got to the point where he wasn't eating or drinking anything we had to syringe water into him, so when he bf he really needed it so then he'd keep going until he was asleep. Now he thinks he needs the boob to sleep.

He won't take a bottle of expressed or formula. I'm just after any tips on how to break this cycle and wean him off the boob completely. I need to stop so I can take some new medication so need to do it but don't want to rush it and make it difficult for Jack. Plus he has started to bite a little bit. 8 teeth.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

tiktok Mon 29-Dec-14 09:08:24

Maybe your meds are fine with bf? It's not at all uncommon for mothers to be told that even very safe meds mean weaning.

Have you checked on lactmed or with other sources? I can give you the links if you need them.

Betsy1925 Mon 29-Dec-14 09:15:30

Thank you for your reply.

They are codeine based and doctor said they weren't but the links would be great please.

Thank you

tiktok Mon 29-Dec-14 11:05:18

toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/newtoxnet/lactmed.htm

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/wp-content/dibm/codeine-oct-14.pdf

Read, share with doc, and then decide.

It's significant your baby is 11 months and not a more vulnerable newborn.

Codeine-based meds should be prescribed with care to a bf mother, but there is no 'blanket ban'.

Hope this helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now