Talk

Advanced search

does it get better? sleep wise?

(18 Posts)
ithoughtofitfirst Sat 27-Dec-14 20:21:55

Okay so tomorrow I'll have been bf DD for 8 weeks 6 days. The same amount of time as DS before I switched to formula so I could switch my ADs. When we switched him he went from sleeping for max 4 hours to sleeping through the night.. the sleep was AMAZING after 2 months of crappy nights.

Fast forward 2 and a half years and I said I would only bf DD for the same amount of time (not to the day but you know what I mean as in roughly) but I'm really enjoying bf. It's so snuggly and it's so easy and straightforward but I have 2 problems

1) dd has slow weight gain. Not a problem I had with ds. So hv and doctor are already getting on my case a bit about introducing formula. I think she's fine but it has worried me I must say.

2) I really really REALLY miss sleep! I know I know... No shit. I know there's nothing to say she'll sleep better on formula necessarily but because ds did I do wonder..

I don't know what to do. I was so depressed last time I wasn't that bothered about having to give up but this time it's actually hard to decide. Any suggestions? I was thinking of mixed feeding?

squizita Sat 27-Dec-14 20:46:54

1) Mine did this about the same time and it all came out ok. She found a new line. Hv was happy with this. Even if there is an issue There are several things bf helplines can suggest to bulk up a bf baby (compressions, offering a "third side", massage before feeding, even fenugreek tablets if it's a supply thing) without quitting. Ask to be referred to the local bf midwife/support not formula.
2) Yes it gets better. Not overnight, but it does.

Hang on in there. I was worried about BFIng the full length of time due to medical issues but am doing ok at 3+ months... hope it works out for you too. fsmile

Mrscog Sat 27-Dec-14 21:35:39

1) How slow? I think anything more than 3-4oz consistently per week and not having any concerns is meant to be ok for a BF baby. Some HCPs who are less well informed about bf and used to seeing babies who pile on a pound a week might well worry unecessarily. Is your DD alert? Developing as expected? Lots of wet and dirty nappies? My DS was a proper slow gainer (3-5oz per week) until 18 weeks and then started piling on more for a bit, so I think they all have different patterns. Introducing formula won't help really, it will just cut down the milk you make. If you're really concerned try and squeeze in an extra feed.

2) It does get better, DS did 1am-5am from 10 weeks, which made a huge difference being able to sleep for 4 hours straight in the dead of night. Are you in a position to safely cosleep? This also boosted the amount of sleep I got.

Inbl00m Sat 27-Dec-14 21:50:18

It does get better!

How does your dd sleep now? My dd is ebf at 16 weeks and now sleeps 7pm-10pm, dream feed at 10, then through to about 6am. She started doing 6-8 hour stretches from about 9 weeks. Good luck whatever you decide to dosmile

ithoughtofitfirst Sun 28-Dec-14 05:12:01

She dropped from just above 50th to between 9th and 25th.

She is super alert, strong and happy. She's an absolute joy. As babies go! Fair play. She doesn't poo as often as ds did but can wee for Wales.

She sleeps so so really. She wakes pretty frequently say every 2-3 hours but goes back to sleep quickly. Usually.

Mrscog Sun 28-Dec-14 09:18:22

That's a similar drop to my DS, luckily I had a very well informed GP whose wife had also just had a baby, who was very blasé as long as DS was following an upward line somewhere and otherwise well and happy.

Did you have IV fluids in labour? I read that if you do your baby can easily weigh an oz or two more at birth which puts them on a different starting point. I had loads as had an IV (was way puffer post birth than in pg) and I suspect DS's weight was slightly inflated as a result.

ithoughtofitfirst Sun 28-Dec-14 18:41:23

That's really interesting. I had her at home though so it can't be that unfortunately. She was doing so well only lost about 2% in the first few days and then just carried on on her line then just plummeted at 6 weeks and is still struggling. I'm not doing anything different I feed her all the time. I have tried block feeding this last week so I'll be interested to see if more hind milk has done the trick. She can sleep for long stretches but so rarely does these days that it can't be that.

It's reassuring that you guys's babies are doing just fine on breast milk.

She isn't getting weighed again til the 8th now but in the meantime I'm just feeling in a bit of a muddle. That might be the sleep deprivation though grin

squizita Sun 28-Dec-14 20:25:57

MrsCog yes my DD is deemed OK gaining 3 1/2 oz per week. The nurse said 'we can't all be model tall, she's just made petite'. smile Some HV are very cautious.

ithoughtofitfirst Tue 30-Dec-14 09:29:59

Squiz can I just ask what her birth weight was and where she is on the chart nowadays? It's wonderful that you've persevered and its worked out.

How is she sleeping?

thinkingaboutthis Tue 30-Dec-14 10:32:28

My first dropped from 75th to below the 25th and is still on that line 5 years later! Birthweight doesn't really tell you much.

By the way, block feeding is a technique to reduce milk supply so might not be the best solution to improve weight gain - usually the opposite approach, switch feeding where you offer each breast as many times as possible during a feed, is used to increase the amount of milk a baby takes.

ithoughtofitfirst Tue 30-Dec-14 11:35:04

Oh no... Really?? Bugger.

I am doing my nut about this. She just doesn't eat!!!! Literally three sucks, a big burp and she's done for about 3 hours.

I might ring hv and see if I can get her weighed sooner.

ithoughtofitfirst Tue 30-Dec-14 11:37:47

I felt quite blasé about it at first but now I'm just worrying all the time and the worst bit is she is sleeping really well but I am worried that she's sleeping through feeds ?!?

squizita Tue 30-Dec-14 12:51:46

She was 6 lb 14 oz at birth and 10lb 5 oz just before 12 weeks. Next weigh in next week - just moving to a new size of baby grow so growing, but will find out how much then!

ithoughtofitfirst Tue 30-Dec-14 18:34:29

Aaah that's fab. Fingers crossed her weight is fine next week I'm sure it will be. The most confusing thing about dd is because she's taller (longer?!) than ds was she's gone up through clothes sooner than he ever did but because his weight was always just above or below 50th his growth was somehow deemed more 'normal' . So confusing ... I really I overthink things too which doesn't help grin

Mrscog Tue 30-Dec-14 18:45:58

DS was a three sucks and would then fall asleep. I had to constantly switch sides to keep him awake. I remember he was 10lb at 10 weeks and was such a skinny thing as he was quite long, but we got there. He did most of his weight gain later 18-26 weeks, it was a bit random, but he's a huge almost 3yo now so it obviously wasn't a problem!

squizita Tue 30-Dec-14 19:26:30

My HV said if they're growing visibly longer they have enough calories and she sometimes measures instead of weighing on "beanpole babies" to reassure parents. Pale, frail thin babies don't grow either fat or bone ... New clothes means growth.

ithoughtofitfirst Tue 30-Dec-14 21:49:14

Thank you guys I feel a lot better. I was thinking of giving her a bottle tonight but I've just given her her last bf of the day and I think she's about to go down for the night. I'm really proud of myself for getting this far. Where would I be without the help of lovely MNers ?!

MindfulBear Thu 01-Jan-15 09:43:06

Hello! it does get better. I am still bf a 31mo - not intentionally it just happened! probably as a result of the struggle we had at the start. & he now sleeps too - woo hoo!

PFB born around 50th for weight. dropped to the 9th. hovered between 9th & 25th for a time - basically found a new lower line and then one day we forgot all about weighing and he looks just fine so we dont worry!! I guess he is above average now but he isnt fat just solid!

so, 1 - so long as LO is tracking their own line its nothing to worry about. Sometimes their birth weight percentile is not where they need to be. If you can find a local La Leche League meeting you can ask a leader to check your latch and discuss some of your concerns - for free. or you could consult with an International accredited Lactation Consultant to help resolve any issues.

2. sleep will improve but might take time - whatever your feeding method!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now