Talk

Advanced search

Hospital stay and breastfeeding

(3 Posts)
time2deal Fri 26-Dec-14 16:46:56

I have a mainly breast fed baby (formula maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks) who is 4 months old, although he is only 11 weeks corrected. I'm wondering how to cope with a few days in hospital and what it's reasonable to expect from them too.

I am going into hospital for an operation on the 2nd of Jan, with a c-section style cut so feeding will be painful but possible. But it has been mentioned that I should pump and dump - is that right? It would be nice to feed him, but also nice to use some proper painkillers!

Anyone have advice or experience? Should I expect them to provide a pump (I know they have them available as I had my baby at the hospital). Any other things they could do for me, and I guess I should warn them about this. Visiting hours are strict too, but would be good if I could see my baby a bit more. Would it be unreasonable to ask for a side room?

My husband will be giving him EBM and formula, and looking after him so the baby will be fine I'm sure, I just feel uncertain about how to manage things while I'm in hospital and also recovering at home.

Thanks!

nickeljrismybabesitter Fri 26-Dec-14 16:49:46

You need to ask the hospital - you should be able to take your baby in with you

weegiemum Fri 26-Dec-14 16:53:25

I had several hospital admissions, two of which required a GA, before dd2 was 6 months. She was elf and each time I was able to take her with me, was given a side room and it was no bother. This was in a small hospital, though, and not that busy. You can only ask!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now