Talk

Advanced search

Expressing when supply regulates?

(5 Posts)
squizita Tue 23-Dec-14 15:20:33

My dd is 3 months old and over the last week or so my boobs feel less hard and full in between feeds. DD still comes off the breast happy si I assume it's just my supply regulating.

However I've also noticed expressing seems more effort for less milk (I guess there's no oversupply now). I used to easily get 2 oz in 15 min ... now its barely 1 oz in that time!
Any tips? I use a hand pump and need only 2-3 oz every 2 days or so (dh gives a bottle so I can wash my hair and do some chores ). But with Xmas I'd like to freeze some so I can go out one evening. fwink

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Tue 23-Dec-14 16:01:47

Lots of people find it harder to express when their supply regulates.

You can try all the normal things:

- try expressing in the morning, if your boobs normally feel fullest then;
- try soaking in the bath beforehand;
- try expressing off one side whilst feeding your baby on the other;
- try looking at photos of your baby (weirdly, some people also find sexy thoughts help! Same hormones I guess);
- try a different pump, or hand expressing.

You might also find that you need to focus on expressing for a few days. Some people find that their bobs kind of get into the swing of it. So trying to express a couple of times a day for a few days.

squizita Tue 23-Dec-14 16:24:39

Thanks Penguins I will try those! smile

SASASI Tue 23-Dec-14 23:34:01

Funny I have the exact same problem! DS is 17 weeks.
If I wake before him I express for 5mins each side & get 5oz out easily. There is still plenty left for his morning feed, apparently a baby will always get more than you can express.

Or if he goes down at 9pm say I would then express about 10/1030pm & get maybe 2/3oz. First thing def works best.

squizita Wed 24-Dec-14 10:07:24

Thanks. Tried today about half an hour after a feed with baby on a play mat next to me and pump warm from the steriliser. Massaged first. Got three and a half oz. Good times! DD seems to take 1 oz per hour bottle fed (guess she has a longer feed after if she needs more) almost exactly so that is a dinner out locally with dh if my mum cab baby sit. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now