Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding and periods

(6 Posts)
izzyness Sun 21-Dec-14 20:01:04

DD is only 4 months old and I have regrettably started my period again (I was hoping for longer without it sad). She's EBF and has been very fussy since its started and much harder to settle. Night time is also very different. Where she would happily go back to sleep after her 2am feed the last three nights she has fussed and squalled for over two hours. I read that hormonal changes will change the taste of my milk and decrease production. I've been try to feed her more but she just doesn't stay on for very long. I'm a bit worried she's not getting enough but I'm reluctant to supplement if this is just a temporary dip. Has anyone been through this? If so do you have any tips or advice?

bf1000 Sun 21-Dec-14 21:40:04

I had a period at around 4 month too. I found feeding for a few days more painful but then hormone levels return to normal. I also felt peeved at starting so soon when EBF but I had 1 at this time and then they were extremely irregular (I had maybe 4/5 periods between 4 months and 18months and then they returned to more regular periods every month.

a few days and it should return to normal feeding. 4months is also a time of sleep regression / fussy time for little ones so it may not be related to your period.

izzyness Sun 21-Dec-14 22:26:44

Thanks for the info bf1000. I just read up on the sleep regression and it sounds exactly like what's happening with DD at the moment. Very frustrating as we had a nice little routine going but glad I know what's going on. Also sounds like it's another step towards winning back the night grin.

Heatherbell1978 Mon 22-Dec-14 20:05:49

Mine started a month ago when DS1 was 3 months and to be honest I've been having problems feeding ever since although it could be coincidental. My supply has definitely dwindled and he's getting fussier as a result. It's more that he won't wait for my letdown (which takes ages). If he does feed he seems satisfied. At the moment I'm managing about 4 out of 6 feeds on the breast (but I feed him when he's half asleep) and around 2 formula feeds a day. I'm really hoping it gets better but if not I'll need to consider giving up.

cathpip Mon 22-Dec-14 20:14:09

Mine restarted within 6 weeks sad. It didn't affect my supply and I ebf till 5 months.

mrsmugoo Mon 22-Dec-14 22:05:39

Mine started at 8 months. I've had two now and both absolutely obliterated my supply - the first time only for a couple of days, the second time for about a week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now