Talk

Advanced search

Nipple piercings and bf.

(8 Posts)
CrawlyDreads Sun 21-Dec-14 13:44:16

I'm dude in April and have been looking for a little information about bf with pierced nipples. Obviously I will take them out for feeds but I was just wondering if anyone else has bf with piercings before or currently.
They are well healed (I've had them for over ten years) I am merely looking for a comparison of non pierced \pierced and if anyone noticed any difficulty because of them.

Thanks in advance x

QueenMartha Sun 21-Dec-14 13:50:23

I took my nippLe piercing out during pregnancy and I had no problems breastfeeding. Well, no problems relating to nipple piercings, anyway! I was told piercings won't make a difference.

I can't help you with the taking the out and putting them back in but with the thrush and torn nipples there's not a chance I'd have put mine back in between feeds!

Ihateparties Sun 21-Dec-14 13:52:31

I had one that I took out at the end of pregnancy #1, it had been in hmm 8 or so years by then. The pierced side produced less milk than the non pierced one but after feeding 3 babies, 2 for 18-20m each I'm now pretty convinced that's usual and not related to the piercing. Maybe it's a little different as I didn't try to keep mine open but in my experience it seemed to make no difference at all.

CrawlyDreads Sun 21-Dec-14 14:13:29

Brilliant smile

I've been looking all over the net and have come up with nothing so far. Just lots of conflicting info but nothing first hand.

Thank you x

Ihateparties Sun 21-Dec-14 14:18:09

Iirc milk did come out of the holes either side too as well as from the front of the nipple (which it turns out is kind of like a showerhead grin) but that never seemed to matter.

You've got me thinking about re piercing it now, I redid my belly button a few months ago after 7 years... not sure I can face the nipple though :-/

dayshiftdoris Sun 21-Dec-14 14:19:44

I have looked after women with them (was a midwife) and no issues at all...

I read an article once about feeding with them still in if you swap to a plastic bar... However I have since breastfed and I can't imagine that being a good idea and would have all sorts of irrational panics about balls falling off....

I haven't known many mums I have seen second time round who have put them back in - same with belly button piercings.

dayshiftdoris Sun 21-Dec-14 14:20:40

Parties...

I have seen the shower head grin I forgot about that

luckiestgirlintheworld Sun 28-Dec-14 14:55:39

I took mine out a year or so before I got pregnant, though I had it pierced years ago so the hole obviously remained. It doesn't cause me any trouble at all- and it is the breast that I produce most milk from too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now