Talk

Advanced search

12 week changes

(8 Posts)
ToTheMoonAndStars Sat 20-Dec-14 15:14:25

My DS Is almost 13 weeks old and is EBF. A few weeks ago he cuts his feeds from 30-40 mins to 15/20 minutes. Now he suddenly seems to have 'drained' me and finished in under 10!!

He's also developed a really irritating habit of tugging at me and playing during feeding. He's latched lazily and 'smacks' around a lot. Hard to explain really.... We were feeding in Mothercare earlier. Lots of lovely quiet babies suckling away and my DS is chomping away, smaking his lips, latching on and off and waving his Lbs like crazy!!! He's also doing the same with his dummy!!

Last time he did this was his 6 week growth spurt but that went hand in hand with long cluster feeds. This time he's feeding less frequently and so I'm not sure what it is!!

Is this typical behaviour? He has normal nappies, decent weight gain of around 6oz a week and he's happy in himself so I'm not worried... Though the constant fussy feeding is a bit annoying!

Bellyrub1980 Sat 20-Dec-14 16:48:45

Watching as my baby is the same...

squizita Sat 20-Dec-14 18:20:04

Mine is like this in new places! 12 weeks and smacks and wiggles ... so interested in the world. Night feeds alk calm ... I swear she just has more interest in new things now!
I just never go out without a scarf!!
Or maybe it's just a protest against Niger Farage, Facebook etc. fwink

squizita Sat 20-Dec-14 18:21:19

Nigel Farage. Not a country in Africa!

Bellyrub1980 Sun 21-Dec-14 05:46:32

Apparently the tugging can be due to the baby's positioning. They're most likely to tug of they can't extend their neck well enough to swallow effectively.

misskipper Sun 21-Dec-14 15:34:09

My DD is almost 12 weeks and also does this! Middle of the night feeds are calm and quiet, but daytime feeds are full of pulling, tugging, squeaking. I assumed it was frustration with slow let down....but maybe not?

I will try to reposition her, Belly and see if this helps.

Watching with interest!

ToTheMoonAndStars Sun 21-Dec-14 17:17:22

I'm not the only one then!!

If they are all around 12 weeks then maybe it is the growth spurt? Middle of the night feeds not too bad here either.

I've tried repositioning him and it helped a little but not a lot. Covering him up made no difference either!

dreamingofwineandcheese Mon 22-Dec-14 08:22:56

My DD started doing this too at 12 weeks and I remember my DS doing it as well. Both of mine have done shorter feeds and going for longer in between from this age I think it's because they become more efficient and have larger stomachs so they can take more in at a feed.

As others have said I think the looking around is because they are more aware of the world around them. My DD breaks off a lot just to give me a lovely smile and then latches on again, I love that it's like her little way of saying thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now