Talk

Advanced search

When does the leaking stop?

(8 Posts)
flipflopsonfifthavenue Sat 20-Dec-14 07:25:50

DS2 is ebf and is 6 wks old. Since day 1 my breasts have been huge leaking milk spraying and squirting machines in a J cup.

Poor DS2 coughs and splutters and gulps at each feed. I also leak from whichever side I'm not feeding from and unless I'm wearing a pad it wets my bra and clothes. When I feed at night one side always ends up soaked.

I bfed DS1 until he was 18mo and never had so much as a dribble. So this is all new.

Does it ever stop or do I start stockpiling bread pads??? Would like to bfeed DS2 for similar length of time.

IAmAPaleontologist Sat 20-Dec-14 07:57:46

How long is a piece of string? It will most likely settle in the next couple of months but you may leak for longer, some people do.
Regarding the spluttering, have you tried feeding leaning back a bit, eg cuddled into the corner of the sofa? Just might help a bit, or feeding lying down is often easier on the baby with a big or forceful supply and let down.

RoseberryTopping Sat 20-Dec-14 08:04:21

I've been a terrible leaker with both my babies, I only need to hear the faintest squawk from a baby and I turn in to a fountain. Those early days are the worst though and it should become more manageable. Get lots of breast pads and always have them in ready.
Have you tried expressing that first bit off before you feed? That might help your DS latch on properly

stargirl1701 Sat 20-Dec-14 08:16:50

Still leaking here at 17 weeks. I have oversupply and forceful letdown.

www.llli.org/faq/oversupply.html

squizita Sat 20-Dec-14 11:54:40

I am 12 weeks. Still leak at night (between time is longer) but no longer by day. It was really bad weeks 2-8! Pads, muslin down the jumper ... FX it eases for you!

sometimesyouwin Sun 21-Dec-14 13:14:58

My leaking doesn't stop until I stop breastfeeding sad. When my milk lets down it always does on both sides so if no pad I get drenched! I've had a few embarrassing occasions where I've forgotten to put pads in! I fed my first until he was 2 and my second is currently 8mths. Costs a small fortune in pads as I get through 2 pairs a day and don't get on with reusable ones! Everyone is different though so it may well settle down in time.

Victoria2002 Sun 21-Dec-14 20:36:05

Lasted 8/9m for me-people kept saying it'd calm down by 12 weeks but NOT TRUE! I found lansinoh breast pads great, plus nursing tops with two full layers od fabric at the front, so any drips were hidden, and fabric bibs with waterproof backing to spray against. Also google biological nurturing (bf position).

creamoftomato Sun 21-Dec-14 20:46:28

Finally stopped leaking here recently, around 8mo. Probably not what you want to hear...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now