Talk

Advanced search

Please help - are we storing up trouble for later with this feeding schedule?

(5 Posts)
dottytablecloth Sat 20-Dec-14 06:50:43

Second dc. I really don't remember my first being like this.

Dd is 10 days so very new baby but she her feeding habits are baffling me.

She is a complete dream during the day, sleeps most of the time and wakes for food, is winded, changed and falls easily back to sleep. She takes about 2-3 oz of milk at a time. To be honest I don't have her on a schedule, I just feed her when she wakens and I can see she is hungry.

Night time is a different story sad. Basically she snacks right through the night and last night over the course of the night took 8oz of milk. She had a feed at 10, 12, 1, 3 and 5 o'clock. She didn't really sleep at all during this time. She was quite windy but burped eventually.

I remember the first 2 nights being horrific with my son but after that he would wake, we would feed him, out him back in crib and he'd fall asleep easily.

Dd is much more fussy at night but much less fussy during the day than ds.

Is this level of non sleeping at night normal?

Should we be trying to get dd to go for longer spells at. Isn't without feeding? I just worry that we are doing the wrong thing. Making her wait for food would be very distressing for her though and she has the most pitiful howl.

Adding to this I have a 22 month old toddler who wakes at 5am every day.

Is this level of night wakefulness and hunger normal?

reallystuckonthisone Sat 20-Dec-14 06:55:50

I is pretty normal, I'd say. And at this age you most definitely aren't making trouble for the future.
The only thing I would look to 'change' now would be to distinguish between day and night. On the day let her sleep with everything going on around her, no keeping quiet, and at night (or after the time you decide will be bedtime in the future), keep everything quite, low lights, quiet voices. She will soon learn and her body clock will adjust.
As to the feeding frequency - oh yes. Normal. It tails off after a few weeks. Promise.
Enjoy your new baby. fenvy

reallystuckonthisone Sat 20-Dec-14 06:56:52

In the day
Keep everything quiet
Grr bloody phone.

Orangeisthenewbanana Sat 20-Dec-14 07:00:39

Sounds about normal, especially as she is so tiny. Second the advice above about gently distinguishing between day and night, but I certainly don't think you should worry about this turning into a long term issue. New borns just need to feed when they want to if they're breastfed! And all babies are different, so don't worry if she's different from your DS. Congratulations!

squizita Sat 20-Dec-14 12:03:24

I was told 10 days night and day are still alien concepts! smile So FX she'll grow out of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now