Talk

Advanced search

Getting baby to take expressed milk from bottle?

(15 Posts)
barmybunting Thu 18-Dec-14 21:13:56

DD is 5 weeks and EBF. We are trying to get her to take a bottle of expressed milk but have had no joy so far! We are using tommee tippee closer to nature bottles but I am not sure if a different type may be better. Any suggestions please? Thanks!

Sleepyhoglet Thu 18-Dec-14 21:53:27

I like the lansinoh ones

Bippidee Thu 18-Dec-14 21:59:18

Medela Calma worked for us (but we were lucky, DD just got it early).

A lot of my friends swear by Dr Brown's - these do seem to alleviate wind issues.

feekerry Thu 18-Dec-14 22:10:03

Ds got really frustrated by the slow flow bottles as my let down was v fast. From 8 weeks he had the fast flow teat and took that much better

ShootTheMoon Thu 18-Dec-14 22:34:40

Probably not what you want to hear but we were never successful with this with DD despite trying a LOT of bottles!

Good luck!

splendide Fri 19-Dec-14 04:09:42

I found dripping some onto his lips helped. Also getting him to just play with the test in his mouth a little bit first.

barmybunting Fri 19-Dec-14 07:18:50

Thanks, I will give the different options a go. Fingers crossed!

TeenageMutantNinjaTurtle Fri 19-Dec-14 07:26:59

mam bottles are the only ones that worked for us (and we tried a lot! have a Google of mumijumi bottles!!)

we started trying at 4wks and were successful at 5mo. sigh.

what worked in the end was sitting DD as upright as possible and then letting her play with the teat, she could then try sucking it. previously I had been holding her in a breastfeeding position with the bottle sort of shoved in her mouth.

FishWithABicycle Fri 19-Dec-14 07:33:57

Try to have the baby in as close as possible the same position for bottle feeding as for breastfeeding so she's more likely to get what's happening. If she's used to being fed lying on her side she's not going to be comfortable being offered a bottle lying on her back. A tommee tippie bottle held under the armpit with the teat as close to a nipple as possible sometimes works.

43percentburnt Fri 19-Dec-14 07:38:54

Ds refused expressed bottle milk. I returned to work and we thought he would come round, no he didn't. Dh fed him breast milk using a medicine syringe! Several weeks later he took a bottle.

Are you in the house when the bottle feeding occurs? That can cause an issue because they would prefer mummy milk. Also if your dh is feeding it's best to have skin to skin as baby is used to that so it's best if he is topless or undoes his shirt.

liney80 Sat 20-Dec-14 11:20:37

We had a battle with bottles after trying it and then leaving it for a few weeks. What really works for us (and a tip we got on MN) was to warm it up much more than you'd think - he was still unsure to begin with but has guzzled it down every time!

stargirl1701 Sat 20-Dec-14 11:23:03

We tried

Medela Calma
Yoomi
Mimijumi
Lansinoh
Breastworks
Nuby

And, the NUK bottles with latex teats worked for DD2.

fakenamefornow Sat 20-Dec-14 11:25:32

Start by breast feeding and while feeding try to slide the teet of the bottle in the baby's mouth and your own nipple out. This was the only way I could get mine taking a bottle.

squizita Sat 20-Dec-14 11:36:58

Lansinoh bottles (from mothercare ) worked for us but some love 99p boots own brand!
We warm the milk and started by teaching her with no pressure over a few days ... toying with it, trying a few sucks then finally glugged!
She takes only 1 or 2 oz per bottle so a 3 oz feed takes 2 sittings but she takes a bottle so yay!!

barmybunting Sat 20-Dec-14 17:12:00

Thank you, we have a few days t home lined up this week so will be trying these ideas- thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now