Talk

Advanced search

10 month old and dropping breastfeeds what to do?!

(10 Posts)
bambinibop Thu 18-Dec-14 19:14:54

Hi hoping someone can give me some advice. My 10 month old currently has 3 or 4 breastfeeds in a 24 hour period, usually first thing in the morning, mid afternoon, middle of the night hmm and before bed. She has 3 good solid meals a day. This last week some nights she has been refusing her bedtime breastfeed completely I think because her dinner is filling her up. We have dinner at half 5 which means we can eat together as a family which I don't want to change, I can't do it much earlier really, maybe 5 but not sure if that would make a difference. She goes to bed at 7pm btw.

Just wondered what time other people's babies of this age have dinner and how many breastfeeds a day they have?

I'm just a bit worried I'm doing this all wrong! Ideally I'd like her to stop waking in the night for milk...and I'd also like to stop breastfeeding when she's a year old roughly.

Pointlessfan Thu 18-Dec-14 19:19:53

I'm having a similar issue with a 9mo. 3 meals a day plus 3 breastfeeds - first thing in the morning, midday and around 4pm. She has a bottle at bedtime and usually wakes once to bf in the night although last night she slept through.
She has suddenly gone from having about 6-7 oz of milk at bedtime to only wanting about 3. We've also noticed her nappy output has become much more solid so I reckon she's just digesting her food more effectively and isn't as hungry.
Not sure if that helps you or not but I'll be watching to see what others say.

bambinibop Thu 18-Dec-14 19:28:13

Thank you glad I'm not alone ! Yes we have also noticed her poo becoming much more solid. I hadn't thought of that.

My dd does sometimes sleep through and she always used to between about 4 and 8 months old. But then she had a few colds in a row and teething and now she just seems to be in a habit of waking once a night. Occasionally she will sleep through until 5 ish.

noitsachicken Thu 18-Dec-14 19:32:48

At 10 months my DS went to just morning and night feeds.
Just go with it, if he is eating well and getting lots of cheese/yogurt that sort of thing try not to worry.

bambinibop Thu 18-Dec-14 19:45:28

She eats lots of yoghurt and has full fat milk on her porridge every morning as well. I just wonder if she is then waking up hungry at night because she didn't have a feed before bed. But I don't think it is hunger I think it's just habit.

Pointlessfan Thu 18-Dec-14 21:08:36

I suppose the test would be to see if you can settle her back to sleep without feeding her. It might be easier for your partner to try as she will associate you with food. Last week our monitor battery packed up without us realising and we didn't hear DD all night. Either she didn't wake up or she settled herself again. Either way she managed without her night feed!

bambinibop Thu 18-Dec-14 21:29:00

Pointless yes you may be right there to get dh to try...it's hard because I know that feeding her gets her straight back to sleep so when it's 2am I always take that easy option!

I'm sure she can settle herself as I always put her to bed awake and she's goes to sleep fine. I'd still hear her anyway she's right next door and a noisy little thing!

Pointlessfan Fri 19-Dec-14 07:32:37

I take the easy option of feeding DD at night too, we all get more sleep that way but DH starts 2 weeks annual leave today so maybe it's time to stop..!

bambinibop Fri 19-Dec-14 10:00:09

I was wondering about using dh holiday over Christmas to stop too...but then I may have a grumpy dh over Christmas and not sure it's worth it!

Pointlessfan Fri 19-Dec-14 13:02:48

That's a good point, it might be a bit mean of me to snatch his first week of lie-ins in 9 months away from him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now