Talk

Advanced search

Week old DD's constant feeding!

(17 Posts)
SallyMischievo Thu 18-Dec-14 00:29:18

Dear All,
Help required pleased! My week old DD has been having two to three hour spells where she feeds on and off for the last four nights. She then sleeps for three to three and a half hours. Starting to feel anxious that there is something amiss. MIL is currently staying and is astonished by the baby being so ravenous! Feeds during the day are less lengthy - 30-40 minutes with periods of being awake and sleeping.
Many thanks for any reassurance anyone can give to an anxious first time Mum x

britishbakeoffblues Thu 18-Dec-14 00:35:09

Sounds perfectly normal to me.
You'll get into a pattern but at the moment, it's all about building your supply.
Well done! Don't worry.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Thu 18-Dec-14 00:37:01

Yep. Normal hmm

Notfastjustfurious Thu 18-Dec-14 00:38:42

In the first 6-8 weeks (more like 10 for my little cherub) the feeding is constant. It's all about establishing your supply. My baby fed every hour to 90 mins to start with and it was exhausting. In the end I found it easier not to clock watch and just go with whatever she wanted to do. It will calm down eventually and it's perfectly normal so don't worry.

yellowsnownoteatwillyou Thu 18-Dec-14 00:39:00

Building supply, you are doing great, it will settle out.
depends on the age of your mil or if she ff, she might have been used to a strict feeding schedule with new borns.

northernlurker Thu 18-Dec-14 00:39:15

Tell Mil to wrap up. This is totally normal for a breastfed baby. Evenings are often a hungry feeding time. Just go with it and eat lots of finger food for your meals grin

callamia Thu 18-Dec-14 00:42:27

Hello, congratulations on your lovely new baby!
This sounds perfectly normal to me - do you know about cluster feeding? Nighttime feeding also really helps to establish your supply. Essentially, your baby somehow knows what to do to make sure she gets the milk she needs.

Keep an eye on her weight gain and wet/dirty nappies of course, but she sounds like a typical baby, doing what she needs to. Mine used to clusterfeed for around three hours, I used to go to bed early with a hot chocolate and my laptop and watch iplayer smile

Cluster-feeding starts to reduce in length and intensity before too long. Also, your baby will feed more around and during a growth spurt, partly to 'order in' the milk she'll require during this period of growth. This happens fairly frequently in the first few months, but by around 12 weeks, everything should have settled down.

mumonashoestring Thu 18-Dec-14 00:45:02

Completely normal smile I used to get DH to cut my meals up for me so I could eat one handed and just settle in with a big glass of water, some decent boxsets and let DS get on with it. It tailed off, then we had it again around 4 weeks, then it tailed off a bit, another growth spurt would come along... As a previous poster said, he's building your supply up (and just enjoying the closeness with you)

PragmaticWench Thu 18-Dec-14 01:01:05

I had a few cluster feeds of 12 hours with both of my DCs!! Just go with it, it will pass really soon. It's likely your MIL was taught to feed to a schedule and so finds feeding-to-demand strange. It's now known that feeding-to-demand is best for establishing your maximum milk supply, times have moved on. Maybe look at the kellymom.com website for explanations of cluster feeding, it's a great site if you have breastfeeding questions.

SallyMischievo Thu 18-Dec-14 01:01:47

Phew. Thank you so much! I thought I was in the know about feeding on demand but had no idea that there would be this much demand! Thanks again. I think she's going to be a chunky monkey - she was 6lbs 11oz when born last Wednesday and when weighed on Monday, she had gained 2oz!

PragmaticWench Thu 18-Dec-14 01:05:18

I found gently explaining about establishing supply to my DM stopped her being shocked at some really long feeding sessions I had. She just had been taught a different way, it was good to chat about different approaches with her.

PragmaticWench Thu 18-Dec-14 01:06:07

Well done on the weight gain btw!!

ZenNudist Thu 18-Dec-14 01:19:04

Count yourself lucky you're getting 3.5 h sleep out of her !

How about a little laugh at MIL ' isn't it funny what you forget about having a newborn? Must be natures way of getting you to do it again' (true though!) or if she didn't bf then she isn't qualified to comment!

Box sets and don't plan to do much other than chill out at home with your baby. You might as well relish the cuddles and the relative ease of a baby comforted by boob and staying in one place.

I'm up with teething 10mo ds2 and I never get to snuggle with a long feed any more. Enjoy! It will pass quickly.

northernlurker Thu 18-Dec-14 07:31:17

It might help mil to understand if you point out that last week (on the inside grin) dd was getting 24 hour a day continuous nutrition. No surprise then that she wants to feed a lot now.

43percentburnt Thu 18-Dec-14 07:45:44

Normal. Cuddles, feet up, films on the TV, mumsnet at the ready. You are doing great!

Enjoy the cuddles.

squizita Thu 18-Dec-14 10:18:17

Perfectly normal and it improves over time.
I think people forget the true pain of sleeplessness after a while. Probably a trick of nature to make us broody! Hence mil surprise!

squizita Thu 18-Dec-14 10:22:40

...my mum scoffed at pj's all day till it slipped she too was in a dressing gown when dad came home from work! With a baby on one boob and another with a bottle (twins) no wonder. But the memory fades.
They have tiny tummies and v fast metabolism at this stage. It's eat/digest/poo all at the sane time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now