Talk

Advanced search

Ff one week old- could I try anti colic milk at night only? Is it ok to mix milk?

(7 Posts)
dottytablecloth Wed 17-Dec-14 09:43:24

I've a one week old who is very settled during the day, still completely confused with day and night so basically sleeping all day and awake for long periods at night.

During the day she feeds well, is hungry but winds easily and there is very little being sick.

At night it's different, she is very fussy, gulps milk down and brings the majority of it back up. She gets very cross if we don't feed her, yet she can't cope with too much.

She seems to be in pain, drawing knees up to chest, thrashing, red face etc.

I wondered would it be an idea to try aptamil comfort milk at night only? She doesn't appear to need it yet during the day.

Does anyone have any idea if this would work?

Yuleloglatte Wed 17-Dec-14 09:48:15

I think it's very early days to be considering this - lots of newborns are unsettled at night and it's a bit early for colic. Could it be that your tiredness means you rush and don't burp as well at night? Or maybe baby doesn't like the crib and needs time to get used to it. I would give it a few more weeks though, and see if things settle naturally.

Heatherbell1978 Wed 17-Dec-14 09:54:55

Our LO used to get quite unsettled and windy and night although he is bf. I was producing lots of milk so he'd gulp like yours. We found he responded really well to bicycle legs and tummy massage, he'd calm instantly and start whinging the minute we stopped. We also started using Infacol. I'd lie him next to me on his tummy at times too when it was bad and he loved that but I wouldn't sleep just watching him!

dottytablecloth Wed 17-Dec-14 10:02:45

I did wonder if she didn't like the crib; she's very happy in her pram or the cocoonababy during the day but she definitely starts to fuss when we put her in the crib.

Any ideas how I can get her used to it?

Jeffery Wed 17-Dec-14 10:07:18

Put her in it during the day? We bought the Moses basket down stairs in the early days so she could have her naps in it, then she had her naps upstairs in her basket. She hated the basket for the first few weeks but slowly got used to it.
Also we put a hot water bottle in it to warm it for her and I slept with a muslin and put that in with her

qazxc Wed 17-Dec-14 10:09:54

It's quite early for colic/comfort milk. you need to use a faster flow teat as the milk is thicker and I don't know if a baby that young could cope with it.
It is normal for newborns to be more active at night for a while, they are used to being in the dark in the womb.
If it was wind only I'd say to try Infacol, but it seems to be more due to the fact she is unsettled/gulping her feed down.
Could you try the pram at night to see if it makes a difference?

dottytablecloth Wed 17-Dec-14 10:24:41

Think I'll try her pram at night.

I had also wondered about a side by side cot, that attaches to our bed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now