Talk

Advanced search

Breastfeeding after tongue tie snip

(5 Posts)
FurryScoob Mon 15-Dec-14 02:26:41

DD is nearly 4 weeks old, the first 2 weeks of her life I struggled to bf & kept being told by midwives it was me doing it wrong. Eventually got referred to a breast feeding counsellor after DD lost 10% of birth weight & wasn't gaining. Counsellor immediately spotted a sever posterior tongue tie was causing the feeding problems & it was snipped last Thursday. Since the snip DD Has gradually got worse at feeding, she takes ages to latch on & when she does she cries after 2 minutes like she is in pain. Anyone else been through similar? We were led to believe there would be a significant improvement after the snip but just seems worse, we now have a perminanty grumpy baby instead of the happy one we had a week ago.

Graciescotland Mon 15-Dec-14 02:46:45

We had something similar with DS2, the wound hadn't healed well and had become "fleshy and scarred" so the snip actually made his tongue tie worse. He was an obstinate, non mouth opening, baby, so the surgeon decided to redo under a general anasthetic where she could control any bleeding if necessary. Worked for us.

I'd ask for a referral back to bf counsellor and/ or surgeon who did the snip for another look.

McBaby Mon 15-Dec-14 08:55:08

Go back to see the surgeon. It may have not been cut enough or scar tissue can form v quickly within first couple of days so you seemingly get no improvement.

We had 4 TT cuts with dd1 but we got there and went on to feed till she was 14 months.

FurryScoob Tue 16-Dec-14 02:52:22

Thanks ladies, got breast feeding councellor back. DD's TT snip looks ok she's just too week to suck & my milk supply's terrible. Got a plan in place to fatten up DD & increase my supply, already noticed a difference in DD after a few hourssmile

Mamab33 Wed 17-Dec-14 05:09:06

Great that the tt is fixed and that you've got good advice and support. Can you please share your plan for fattening her up and increasing your supply. TIA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now