Talk

Advanced search

breastfeeding in public

(20 Posts)
Anotherdayanotherdollar Sun 14-Dec-14 23:33:02

My pfb is 3 and a half weeks old and today I bf in public for the first time. I was a bit self conscious at first but nobody paid any attention from what I can tell. I'm really pleased that I did it and think that I'll be more confident next time and now I don't feel that I'm stuck at home all day!

I really just wanted to tell somebody. Most people I know in rl would be horrified not share my excitement!

softlysoftly Sun 14-Dec-14 23:34:53

Yes that's a big hurdle. Shouldn't be but it is. It took me until DD3 to feed whenever and wherever and not once has anyone said anything!

BingBongSongEveryDamnDay Sun 14-Dec-14 23:37:19

Well done! Most people won't even realise, it just looks like you're cuddling your baby.

My mum was horrified when I BFed DD in a cafe, too. Tried to cover me up. (I was hardly ostentatious.) Wish I'd been a bit a lot more confident & told her where to go.

LookImStuckInTheChimney Sun 14-Dec-14 23:42:01

Well done! fsmile

I found the first few times really scary but gradually go used to it - much better after I bought my BeBe Au Lait though!

Enjoy your freedom!

BlueGreenHazelGreen Sun 14-Dec-14 23:42:25

Well done you. You'll find you increase in confidence (and technique) to the point where you don't even think about it.

I bf twins and never had any problems with the public.

squizita Mon 15-Dec-14 15:17:30

Yea that 1st one is super scary!! Well done!!

Especially as it's in the news ... no one wants to be a warrior 1st time but of course it's all over the news.
And it's winter ... I learned my ropes putting baby under a floaty top in a naice park full of mums and babies.
Now you've done it you'll find it gets easier.

And Starbucks are both supportive places to feed in winter that you find everywhere AND have their chrimbo drinks in! fwink
Drink for baby, drink for mummy!

squizita Mon 15-Dec-14 15:20:59

Bingbong shock I wpuld be fuming! My mum is all "Oh for goodness sake Squizita no one is in the slightest bit interested in your boob, just lift up your pullover and pop her on. We've all done it!" ...grin But I am a scarf user so no one ever sees the nip!

callamia Mon 15-Dec-14 15:27:55

You rule! It will get easier (and then temporarily harder when they get too interested in everything else around you), but it's great to prove to yourself that no one really notices, and no one cares a jot. Brilliant! You may now commence a winter of hot chocolates in cosy cafes - your reward for a winter baby.

ithoughtofitfirst Mon 15-Dec-14 15:57:50

My mum is a retired midwife very breast is best type and still gets a bit paranoid people will see me and object to it.

Couldn't give a fuck tbh.

Good work OP!! Excellent stuff.

BingBongSongEveryDamnDay Mon 15-Dec-14 16:18:50

Squizita I was fuming but she (and my sister) was so dismissive of me, that I didn't know how to react. It also hurt, as every time she tried to put a napkin or something over DD's head, DD would wrench off without disengaging, major ouch. So I was pretty distracted & not really up for a debate about it. I just stopped seeing them. It's not as if I'm even that big. Currently (not BFing) I describe myself as having a couple of midge bites...

ithoughtofitfirst Mon 15-Dec-14 16:33:34

People's attitudes toward breastfeeding disgust me. People are so conditioned with their unhealthy views on women's bodies that they fail to see that what they're objecting to is just a child receiving food.

Bonkers.

Heatherbell1978 Mon 15-Dec-14 16:50:47

Well done! Ive fed DS1 in public since he was days old and haven't had any issues or comments thankfully. Frustratingly it's got harder as he's got older as he's just too distracted by everything around him so I've had to feed him in the disabled loo last few times I've been out. Boo:-(

squizita Mon 15-Dec-14 17:59:43

Heather yep I use my scarf not for modesty but to prevent "nipple nipping" as she goggles round!grin

bambinibop Mon 15-Dec-14 21:37:14

I remember taking that first step and breastfeeding in public for the first time. I text my mum to say I'd done it as I was so proud! Then after that it just got easier and easier.

StillPukin Tue 16-Dec-14 22:22:05

Well done! :D
We're nearly at month 11 of bf-ing now and I promise it gets easier. I don't give it any thought at all now. It helps that as the little ones get older, they get better at it too so there's no need to latch on, you just point them in the general direction and they do the rest themselves, covering the boob from sight with their head.
For what its worth,, I've had nothing but positivity, support and encouragement from strangers when feeding in public. It makes me really proud smile

BakingBunty Wed 17-Dec-14 20:37:47

Well done OP! I was really nervous feeding DS in public. I'm much more confident with DD, mainly because I've simply had to get on with it if she needs a feed when getting DS to/from nursery. I was feeding DD in the park recently. An older woman walked past and said 'jolly well done you!'. It made my day grin.

Roobix04 Wed 17-Dec-14 20:42:47

Yeah that first time can be quite scary so we'll done. I think I spent ages practicing at home and agonising over what to wear for easy breast access. I've luckily never had any problems with anyone objecting.

MinceSpy Wed 17-Dec-14 20:52:37

OP well done, I sat next to a lady BF her very young baby on plane yesterday no one took any notice. Crew offered her extra drinks which I thought was nice. I always had to pop a light wrap over my shoulder or DS wouldn't settle and feed, he was such a nosey baby!

Countryside14 Thu 18-Dec-14 12:16:47

Well done!!

I'm still feeding my 8 month old. I was nervous at first and now I do t even really notice I'm doing it. I do it anywhere I need to. When I see other mums doing it I want to go over and say well done!!

PurpleStripedSock Thu 18-Dec-14 12:37:56

Hi, good for you. My daughter is now 20 months old and still breastfeeding occasionally. She often wants a go on the peak hour tube on the way home from work/nursery. Nobody bats an eyelid (well, I've not yet had any comments anyway).

I flew to Australia when she was 8 months old and was practically naked boobing her into submission the whole way as I lolled about half asleep ;-)

People are less challenging than the media would suggest about public breastfeeding. It's normal, go for it. Good luck :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now