Talk

Advanced search

3 week old vomiting after every feed

(14 Posts)
Volley2014 Sun 14-Dec-14 00:44:39

3 week old who is EBF has suddenly started vomiting up the vast proportion of each feed. She then cries, grizzles, strains and hits out with her arms and legs until I feed her again. Then she vomits that up too. We are passing stretches of 8 hours at a time where I am feeding, she's vomiting, I am comforting, she's crying and grizzling, I'm feeding again, she's vomiting again. She gets exhausted and sleeps for 40 mins, then wakes up crying again.

Any idea what this could be?

FruitBasedDrinkForALady Sun 14-Dec-14 00:47:35

could it be as simple as wind? I found infacol great for my two.

Middleagedmotheroftwo Sun 14-Dec-14 00:50:56

I found that just lying DD down after a feed, without winding her stopped her being sick after feeding. Took me a good few weeks to work it out.

Volley2014 Sun 14-Dec-14 00:52:34

We are trying Infacol before each feed and it doesn't seem to be making a huge amount of difference. When we wind her nothing comes out (no burps) only hiccups, or it makes her vomit more.

Could it be a bug?

AnotherStitchInTime Sun 14-Dec-14 00:56:05

Gastro-oesophageal reflux possibly.

With that much vomiting you need to be seen by a GP. Has it come on suddenly? Are there any other symptoms like a temperature?

The GP can prescribe medication to help the reflux,if that is what it is. Try propping up the top end of the baby's bed and also cut dairy out of your diet temporarily to see if that helps. A wrap sling is also a good way of keeping her upright after a feed and if she is close to you she may sleep longer too.

katandkits Sun 14-Dec-14 00:59:58

At that age i would take her to the doctors. How much is she vomiting? Is it projectile like vomiting? If not it might just be reflux, you can get medication for that. If she really is forcefully vomiting back all her milk you need to rule out pyloric stenosis (rare and even rarer in girls so don't worry) and get them to work out what is going on.

katandkits Sun 14-Dec-14 01:01:34

If it is a tummy bug she will need keeping an eye on by docs to prevent dehydration. Any diarrhea?

Volley2014 Sun 14-Dec-14 01:12:55

No diarrhea and it's not projectile. It's large amounts dribbling from her nose of congealed milk which goes down her face and into her neck and all over her clothes. We need a change of clothes every time, as it smells. And her breath smells of bad milk.

Silent reflux looks like the most obvious option I suppose...

PepsiTwirl Sun 14-Dec-14 01:16:25

How long has this been happening?

PepsiTwirl Sun 14-Dec-14 01:17:16

I don't want to scare you, but I think she needs to see a doctor, now.

It might be reflux, or something else, something serious.

Please just get her checked out

Middleagedmotheroftwo Sun 14-Dec-14 10:19:26

Is she just eating too much because she's hungry because she brought the last feed up. A bit of a viscous circle.
Try feeding her just very little and often to see if that helps.

moolady1977 Sun 14-Dec-14 10:25:29

My first baby did that and it eventually became projectile ,,,as another pp said it may be pyloric stenosis which if it is will be easily sorted out it is very rare and as also said rarer in girls ,,, it was the milk being congealed and smelling ,,, id go to the drs better to get it sorted now snd if you want to chst send me a pm as i know how frightening and upsetting it can be x

SueDunome Sun 14-Dec-14 10:37:43

You say you're trying Infacol. Do you think it's the Infacol that's causing it - has the sudden vomiting coincided with the Infacol trial?

PepsiTwirl Tue 16-Dec-14 19:20:51

How is she?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now