Talk

Advanced search

How to stop breastfeeding when my baby won't drink other milk?!

(16 Posts)
Lucypearl Sat 13-Dec-14 22:12:40

My DD2 has just turned 1 and I am still breastfeeding. I always had it in my head that I would stop at around a year, as it did with DD1. My LO, however, will not drink any other milk. She would never take a bottle or formula, as with DD1, and although she likes water from a sippy cup if I put milk in it (formula/cows milks/expressed milk) she might take the odd little sip but generally rejects it and certainly won't sit and drink a whole cup. I know I can get dairy/calcium into her diet in other ways but the things is she really needs a feed to wind down before bed and without substituting a bfeed with a bottle/cup I don't know how I'm going to be able to stop feeding without it being really traumatic for her. I would love some advice from any other mums who have been in this situation!

cogitosum Sat 13-Dec-14 22:19:07

Mine started with baby chinos from Costa. He'd always want his own drink when I had one.

Although we're still bf as well. Is there a reason you would prefer to stop (not judging just wondering... Obviously 'because I want to' is reason enough but I can go out and he's fine for a night or two so if it's worry about leaving him it may be unfounded)

OsMalleytheCat Sat 13-Dec-14 22:24:15

I had a similar situation DS was an absolute boob fiend until he was 14months by which point I was absolutely fed up so we just went cold turkey, was horrible for the first day and night but got much easier by day 2 and easier every day after that. One month later he's a bottle fiend!
I found that if I wasn't on hand much for the first few days it made the transition slightly easier.

AnythingNotEverything Sat 13-Dec-14 22:25:17

I found that while I was still bf 2-3 times a day, DD wasn't thirsty enough for much else.

We only bf on a morning now (almost 14 months) and she drinks a fair amount from sippy cups, both milk and water.

thingamajig Sat 13-Dec-14 22:27:57

Is it possible to go away for a few days without her, and for your DP to feed her - that's what it took for all of mine.

Lucypearl Sat 13-Dec-14 22:35:53

Lol, baby chinos - v cute! Tbh I'm not sure I'm 100% ready to stop but my DH and I have not had an evening out for nearly 2 years and we have a babysitter organised for NY. I'm feeling very torn and emotional about it. If I could just have the odd night off that would be great but I can't see how she will go down at night without a feed, she not a great sleeper as it is and hates going to bed, so I feel like I need to wean her off completely before leaving her with anybody else for an evening or she'll be so upset...just don't know how to do it without feeling horrendously guilty.

poocatcherchampion Sat 13-Dec-14 22:36:33

I. never really offered milk - only water with meals. at 17 months I offer it fairly often and they love it.

Lucypearl Sat 13-Dec-14 22:39:09

Anythingnoteverything I work 3 days so she doesn't usually have more than 2 feeds then anyway but maybe I'll try cutting it down to 1 to see if it helps. Thingamajig I guess I might have to do that. I did go away for a night with DD1 but she would take a cup of milk fine so it wasn't a trauma at all for her - more for me! smile

Lucypearl Sat 13-Dec-14 22:41:07

Osmalley that's v interesting - did he take a bottle at all b 4 u stopped feeding or only after?

notgivenupyet Sat 13-Dec-14 22:41:24

I became very unwell when my daughter was 13months old and was in hospital for a long time. My bf daughter would not take formula or cows milk and I didn't have any expressed and so her Dad gave her juice which she would drink, I know this isn't ideal and they should have water but he was desperate!

Anyway she just massively upped her solid food consumption, she was baby led weaned so just ate enough to satisfy her extra hunger now she wasn't having any bf. She ate yoghurt and cheese so milk products but she is 4 now and still objects to milk but has a really good mixed diet and is a healthy height and weight.

I wouldn't worry about replacing the bf IF she has a good mixed solid food intake as she will likely increase her consumption and then be getting what she needs from that.

In my opinion a lot of the hype about toddlers needing special milk is a marketing ploy.

Lucypearl Sat 13-Dec-14 22:50:36

Notgivenupyet totally hear what u r saying, it's really the bedtime wind down that's the biggest problem! I don't know how I'm going to get her to sleep without it. Urg

AnythingNotEverything Sat 13-Dec-14 22:53:49

If it's bedtime you're worried about mainly, I'd just give it a go. You've nothing to lose. How about a week's transition of milk downstairs, special cuddle and new (or well loved) stories in bedroom, and then bed? The. After a week skip the milk. Does she currently feed to sleep?

See how she goes. We were worried about losing the bedtime feed and it has had no impact at all.

Lucypearl Sat 13-Dec-14 22:56:25

Yeah I guess I'll give it a go, thanks for your advice everyone smile x

Threeplus1 Sat 13-Dec-14 23:01:01

I was still breastfeeding my dd2 at 2 1/2 and it really was time to stop. She would have carried on forever! She also refused any other type if milk and still wanted a feed before bed and upon waking. Once, so I could have a much needed night out, I offered her warmed milk with a little honey and she was hooked. I think with it being warm and sweet like breast milk, it was a perfect substitute.

Singleandproud Sat 13-Dec-14 23:08:15

If you don't want to stop BFF but just want to do it so you can have an evening off I'm sure she would take a beaker of water or milk from someone else, babies won't let themselves go hungry and it's amazing what they'll do for someone else and not for you. If you to give her a different drink she'll probably kick up a fuss as she can smell the bm and expects it from you but if grandparents or who ever is looking after her she probably won't bat an eyelid.

TellmetogetonwithmyWork Sat 13-Dec-14 23:17:05

I had this issue, though DS was 18m so it was a bit easier than a just turned 1 year old.

His little sips of formula gradually became bigger sips, though he never glugged down a bottle. In fact never ever used a bottle, only sippy cups. It was lucky actually because he turned out to be intolerant of cow's milk.

He was OK being cuddled to sleep even if he didn't have his milk though, so maybe for just one night/irregular nights out you don't have to ditch bf'ing all together?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now