Talk

Advanced search

Winding

(9 Posts)
RudyTuesday Sat 13-Dec-14 00:31:28

Hello I'm ftm and breastfeeding. I'm not sure when to wind and how long for. If baby is screaming I definitely wind and stop once he calms. But I read you should wind after every feed - so what if he's asleep and content? Do you still try to get some wind up? If so how long do you try for?

Also do you wind immediately after feed or give him time to digest? I usually do it straight away and am wondering if my back patting is making him puke.

When I asked a midwife she said you don't always need to wind and bf babies tend to fart it out rather than burp??

EmbarrassedPossessed Sat 13-Dec-14 01:05:53

I would agree with your MW that winding isn't so important for bfed babies - bottle fed babies take in more air when they feed apparently.

If he's asleep happily after a feed then I wouldn't worry about trying to wind actively. You could just put him upright on your shoulder maybe, as sometimes a burp will make its way out of its own accord that way.

moggle Sat 13-Dec-14 08:56:31

My ebf 4 wk old usually brings up a massive couple of burps after feeding - but I do have a fast letdown and I can hear her gulping down air as well as milk at the start! She farts plenty too :-)
But if she drops off after a feed and seems content then I don't wind her too vigorously- maybe put her upright ish on my chest and lightly pat or rub her back. She doesn't wake up with this but if yours does I'd just leave it, they wouldn't fall asleep if they were uncomfy.

Hakluyt Sat 13-Dec-14 09:01:33

I practically never had to wind either of mine- only if they looked as if they needed it. They won't sleep if they've got wind that needs to come up (or down. With mine it was usually down grin)

squizita Sat 13-Dec-14 16:31:59

I was advised for any feed to wind if the baby looked windy. If they're asleep leave them!

Bf babies can get windy (especially after a feed that was more for comfort, or one when they're distracted). But they tend tto have less.

When they're very young many babies fart more than burp anyway from talking to other mums!

RudyTuesday Sun 14-Dec-14 23:35:49

Thanks all. The total satisfaction I feel when I do help him to do a resounding burp is yet another unexpected bonus of motherhood!

Bellyrub1980 Mon 15-Dec-14 08:47:06

When does a baby look windy? What signs do you look for?

squizita Mon 15-Dec-14 14:50:35

Mine arches and wriggles like she can't get her torso comfy, refuses to be placed on her back and gives a wingy grumble cry. After a burp she's completely ok.

squizita Mon 15-Dec-14 14:52:51

...If the baby is comfy enough to sleep they're not windy! My daughter usually sleeps but if she needs a wind I know. Luckily it's an easy fix.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now