Talk

Advanced search

7.5 mo not drinking much milk in the day

(4 Posts)
fionnthedog Fri 12-Dec-14 20:23:09

DS is 7.5 months and well established on three meals a day which he loves. I am breastfeeding him morning and evening and for one night feed and he has two bottles of formula in the day in anticipation of me going back to work early Jan.

Problem is that he really only drinks 3oz from each of his bottles, sometimes 4 on a good day. I wouldn't mind as he has nice long feeds morning and evening and in the night but I am really keen to try and night wean once DH is on his Christmas hols next week. I am completely exhausted and keep getting ill so need to start getting some proper sleep and I think it's ok to do this at 8 months.

Does any one have any advice? If I go cold turkey on night feeds will he be getting enough milk in the day? Will he start drinking more from his bottles?

Thanks...

curlyLJ Fri 12-Dec-14 23:28:32

Watching with interest as I could have pretty much written that post myself (except for the going back to work bit).
Would dearly love a full nights sleep.
Hopefully someone will be along with the answer shortly...

fionnthedog Sat 13-Dec-14 14:19:28

Bump - can anyone offer us any advice?? Thanks

lovemakespeace Sun 14-Dec-14 15:03:34

I night weaned my son at 9 months. He didn't eat many solids or BF much in the day. Once he night weaned he just adjusted and got the message he should take what he needed during the day. He is a strapping 2.5 year old now smile

What I did was change the night feed to a bottle and put 1oz less in every 2-3 days. Once we got to 2oz nothing the next night. He groused for about 20mins that night then that was that! I should say my husband did it rather than me which may have helped reinforce the no more boob message.

My son did not feed to sleep at the beginning of the night by that stage.

I have a daughter now. Once she is on 3 meals I plan on attempting the same! My son did get up for the day at 5.30 for a while which was brutal but he eventually sorted himself out.

Hope it goes well smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now