Talk

Advanced search

Powdered Formula

(14 Posts)
SpaghettiMeatballs Fri 12-Dec-14 16:23:35

I've just started to mix feed my 9 month old DS. He isn't a good sleeper so I need DH to help out more and I go back to work after Christmas so he will need milk at nursery.

DS is my DC2 but I've never made up powdered formula before. Only ever had ready made as it was an occasional thing. Most people I know just seem to tip the powder into cooled water but I've been reading that the water needs to be at least 70 degrees to kill bacteria in the powder.

I'm wondering if I can just use tap water to finish making up the feed to cool it quickly given DS had been happily drinking tap water since 6 months??

Is there a flaw in this plan I am missing?

Thank you.

tortoisesarefab Fri 12-Dec-14 16:32:03

I used to make up the feed with 4oz hot water, add 8 scoops powder and mix and then add another 4oz of cooled, boiled water so it was ready to drink. Not sure about tap water as long as the powder was mixed with the hot water, it would prob be ok. Just make sure the water you are adding is pre measured because of the displacement value of the powder.

SpaghettiMeatballs Fri 12-Dec-14 16:35:40

Thank you. I'd read a few archived posts about not just 'topping up' and needing to measure the cooler water.

Just thinking if I forgot to put aside some cooled, boiled water then the tap may do?

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 12-Dec-14 17:32:58

tap is fine for the cold bit at that age.smile

SpaghettiMeatballs Fri 12-Dec-14 18:54:39

Thank you penguins. I just wasn't sure if the need for boiled water was connected to the formula rather the age of the child iyswim?

Annbag Fri 12-Dec-14 19:02:31

The powder isn't sterile so that's why they say to mix with boiled water. I usually make 2 and put them in the fridge, or run under the cold tap to cool quickly.

If you make it with boiling water and top up with cooler water that should work I think as long as the powder was dissolved in the boiling water

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 12-Dec-14 19:08:21

Boiled water to kill any bugs in the powder.

But if you are adding cold to cool it quickly, that can be tap water not cooled boiled water. smile

SpaghettiMeatballs Fri 12-Dec-14 19:14:42

Sorry, I'm explaining myself badly. I meant if adding cooled water whether there was some reason it needed to be boiled.

In the archives lots of people mention the cooled water that will be added to the hot water needing to be boiled first but I think this is because the milk is for a newborn?

Anyway, I've made him a bottle up with tap for the last 2oz tonight to give myself a break after a teething induced feeding marathon last night.

MrsSpencerReid Fri 12-Dec-14 19:14:46

If you add water after the formula you need to measure it rather than go by the marking on the bottle as the powder displaces the water so 7oz water plus 7 scoops come almost to the 8oz mark on the bottle

LuckyCharms Fri 12-Dec-14 20:06:02

This is what I do for my 11 month old. I use cold water from the tap and measure it in a separate bottle before adding it to the rest.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 12-Dec-14 20:13:01

I understand you OP.

If your method is, say 8 scoops of powder into 4oz of suitably hot water (70 degree plus) and then adding 4oz of cold water, you are asking if the cold needs to be 'cooled boiled water' or can it just be tap?

The answer is that a newborn should have cooled boiled water really (though the likelihood of harm is far lower than from nasties in powder that doesn't meet hot water). But a six month plus baby who is drinking and eating normal food and water, there is nothing magical about formula that means that normal water isn't suitable there too.

Does that make sense?

SpaghettiMeatballs Fri 12-Dec-14 20:23:33

That's exactly it penguins. Thank you.

Looking forward to a full night of sleep tomorrow for the first time in 9 months now without DS crying on DH as he can't cool the milk quickly enough.

fatterface Fri 12-Dec-14 20:26:55

I use two bottles. Put e.g., 6 scoops in one bottle, measure 3oz boiling water in the other bottle tip in and shake, then measure another 3oz cold tap water add in and then it is normally drinking temperature.

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 12-Dec-14 20:31:56

Oh, should add a disclaimer that I assume you are in the UK and mean UK mains tap water. We have very good quality tap water here- other rules apply in some other countries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now