Talk

Advanced search

Is there anything more devastating than...

(24 Posts)
SASASI Thu 11-Dec-14 23:05:59

Expressing 4oz then dropping the entire contents over the kitchen floor?! I could cry!!

Going out on sat night & need 3 bottles I think, currently have one done but I do have a freezer full too.

I have a lot going on in life in general as well as a 4 month old - planning permission issues for an extension, trying to sort part time work for after maternity leave & I just feel like I'm spinning too many plates - my concentration & memory is shit.

Im just so tired & worn down but I put myself together everyday & keep house clean & tidy so I guess everyone thinks I'm fine if that makes sense.
People keep asking me to do things for them ie mum asked me to get MIL present from her, Ive some how been left to arrange a Christmas catch up with old friends that are home. I just want to scream!

I would love to Ditch sat night in favour of sleep but I got the Michael Buble tickets yonks ago & they were expensive.

Tomorrow is a new day.

Shedding Thu 11-Dec-14 23:07:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Shedding Thu 11-Dec-14 23:09:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FamiliesShareGerms Thu 11-Dec-14 23:11:56

Gah!!sad

Enjoy the Bubble on Sat smile

MuddlingAlongMum Thu 11-Dec-14 23:17:04

DH once left the freezer door ajar and defrosted my entire stash of breast milk I'd spent what felt like a lifetime expressing. I'll be honest, I stood there and sobbed...
Enjoy your night out!

squizita Fri 12-Dec-14 09:25:08

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! fangry I recently realised "No point crying over spilt milk" was no longer an exaggeration when we're talking breast not Cravendale.

I've just defrosted a portion of milk as I heard some women need to scald it before they freeze it or it goes off. I really, really hope I'm not one of them... there's 6-10 hours worth in there for Christmas business and/or having a rare evening out!! All I want for Christmas is a quiet night down the local with a mulled wine.

SASASI Fri 12-Dec-14 20:05:56

Never heard about the scalding thing, I have a freezer full too so I really hope not!!

Glad to know it's not just me who feels that way...as I sit here & pump instead of sleeping sad

I do try to write things down but it's A) remembering B) getting the time but I agree it does help!

squizita Fri 12-Dec-14 20:15:39

Heard of it at my nct "reunion " thing. It's unusual but if you have too much of a certain protein in the milk you have to heat it firSt or it curdled and goes funny.

Thankfully mine hasn't ! fwink

IHeartKingThistle Fri 12-Dec-14 20:17:34

Oh it is so ok to cry over spilt breast milk. I found it so difficult to express a decent amount, did it one time for DD when my mum was going to look after her and promptly dropped the lot over her kitchen floor. AND THEN HER DOG LICKED IT UP.

I can laugh now but I cried then!

Minty82 Fri 12-Dec-14 20:24:01

Oh you poor poor love! The only thing to rival it is when you manage to get a decent feed into a newborn and they vomit the whole lot up (am extremely grateful that mine very rarely did this as they were good feeders and very unsicky, but it was soul destroying when they did!).
On the plus side, have a fabulous night out.

scrivette Fri 12-Dec-14 20:28:55

Oh no! I have done this before and cried. It takes so much time and effort to get such a small amount I do feel for you.

shivs1974 Fri 12-Dec-14 20:32:11

No, there isn't. The stuff is liquid gold.
I exclusively expressed for dd1 and had a load in the freezer for emergencies & for the local milk bank. Our brand new fridge/freezer died and it was just out of its warranty, as we'd stupidly bought it from the cheapest Internet seller. I lost it all. I cried....even on the phone to Hotpoint. Thankfully I was blessed with an abundant milk supply so dd1 could still be fed but I was devastated at the time.

ByTheWishingWell Fri 12-Dec-14 20:36:59

Crying over spilt breast milk is perfectly understandable. I had a full on sobbing tantrum when our freezer packed up with my stockpile inside.

As for the other things- just say no. Especially to cleaning the house.

WiggleGinger Fri 12-Dec-14 20:37:15

Cry ahead you have every right!!!

I spilled 1/2 an oz last night over the side of the bottle ( I know its not much) just before I left to go out, seriously though, it was only because my make up was done & I was so very much looking forward to an evening off, that I held it together! Otherwise I'd have been on the floor with the milk!

NeedaDiscoNap Fri 12-Dec-14 20:38:13

I feel your pain OP. I once expressed and left the milk sitting out for my DD's next feed, and DH poured it down the sink. I wept! It was awful.

callamia Fri 12-Dec-14 20:39:23

I discovered that I was one of the degrading milk types when I had a freezer absolutely full. I wept.

When I calmed down, I discovered that mine would last a month frozen. I never bothered scalding it - who has that long?

After DS started nursery, I used to stay up late trying desperately to express enough for him to have a cup the next day (he was 11m). It was vitally important to me at the time. Two months later, I learned that he never drank that milk - he ate his lunch, then threw my hard-won milk all over the place.

screamathon Fri 12-Dec-14 21:22:48

I am one of those with a freezer full of degraded milk :-( It would last DS 3 weeks if he could drink it, but it tastes absolutely awful. Even the stuff I have scalded first tastes pretty bad :-(

callamia Fri 12-Dec-14 21:38:36

scream, you can cook with it (cheese will disguise that soapy taste), but you also might be able to donate for research. I feel your pain.

TheGirlAtTheJingleBellRockShow Sat 13-Dec-14 06:09:52

Totally normal and reasonable to cry.
I had to express while DD was tube fed in NICU. I spilt a full bottle one time and sobbed. DH used the "there's no use crying over spilt milk" line and I could have punched him. I didn't, just cried eve n harder!

screamathon Sat 13-Dec-14 09:34:58

Ok I won't throw it away just yet then ;-)

Inbl00m Sat 13-Dec-14 10:02:05

Aaaargh, gutted! Poor you sad

TheTravellingLemon Sat 13-Dec-14 10:07:16

I could cry for you. Nothing worse. I've done it. I could still muster a tear now when I think about it and it was years ago.

tinkerbellvspredator Sat 13-Dec-14 10:21:09

When DC1 couldn't latch on I was exclusively expressing and struggled to get very much. About 5 days in my milk hadn't come in fully and I was expressing in the middle of the night for ages and only getting drops, around 5ml. I then spilled it all. Traumatic.

Stealthpolarbear Sat 13-Dec-14 10:23:06

I knew what this thread would be before I opened it
No, nothing more upsetting sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now