Talk

Advanced search

question about exclusively bf baby poo

(8 Posts)
ItIsSmallerOnTheOutside Tue 09-Dec-14 19:00:39

Hi, my baby is nearly 5 months and exclusively breastfed. She's not started solids yet so only has breast milk.

The last few days her poo has changed. She only goes one to two times a day which is normal for her but the consistency seems to be a bit thicker and there's a lot more to the point it's filling an entire nappy and coming out the sides, the colour is a different yellow and it has an unpleasant odour.

I think the colour would still pass as ok, it's the smell that worries me. It's a bit like soury.. I don't know exactly how to describe it but it's not a nice smell. I thought it might be a reaction to her last lot of immunisations but as they were a week ago now I'm wondering if it's more likely to be an allergy from something I'm eating.

Any ideas or has anyone experienced anything similar?

evertonmint Tue 09-Dec-14 19:03:20

I would say if you have no other concerns about her then it's entirely normal ��

I'm currently feeding my 3rd (also 5m) and still the changeable nature of breastfed poo never ceases to amaze me!

ItIsSmallerOnTheOutside Tue 09-Dec-14 19:07:10

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I have no other concerns she is still happy, sleeps fine and isn't really crying.
I never knew having a baby involved so much poo inspection!

Northernexile Tue 09-Dec-14 19:08:51

Mine had nappies like that when she was teething, quite explosive and definitely sour smelling!

NoNoNoooooo Tue 09-Dec-14 19:14:11

Possibly something you've eaten coming through her?

TheGirlAtTheJingleBellRockShow Tue 09-Dec-14 19:15:54

My DD started with sour/vinegary thicker poop when she started teething. It was the HV that made the link blush
Is she showing any other teething signs?

squizita Tue 09-Dec-14 19:26:41

Mine did this after her inoculations so yes there might be a link too!

ItIsSmallerOnTheOutside Tue 09-Dec-14 19:53:47

Hmm she has shown signs of teething actually. Could be that, and maybe the imms as well. I have tried to think if I've eaten anything new that could be affecting her but here's nothing I can think of.

Judging by all your kind responses, it does seem like a normal thing so I do feel reassured. I think I will just carry on keeping an eye on it and as long as she continues being her normal, happy self I won't worry. Thank you everyone. Mumsnet is great.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now