Talk

Advanced search

4 Month DS suddenly started being sick and poor weight gain

(7 Posts)
DoggyDaycare Tue 09-Dec-14 18:08:41

My DS has never had an easy time of feeding, milk supply slow to come in, tongue tie, poor supply due to tongue tie meaning supply not stimulated etc...he got back to birth weight at 7 weeks and then for the last 10 weeks he's been consistently on the 2nd percentile.

The last two weeks he has got fussy at the breast and his weight gain is very poor and he has gone down to the 0.5% percentile. It was suggested that the fussing at breast, plus dribbling, suggest teething and it may be sore for him to suck so he isn't feeding as well, which made sense at the time...

However, since coming away from the weigh in I have thought about it more and realised that the fussing/weight slowing both started at the same time that the baby started being sick- semi digested milk , very bitty rather than liquid, a few times a day. He is 4 months and hadn't done it before a couple of weeks ago, but is now consistently doing this.

Does anyone know why he may be doing this and if it is related to his poor weight gain? Thanks

squizita Tue 09-Dec-14 18:14:15

My baby spits up more when she fusses ... The fussing comes first. I think air gets in and brings up wet burps.
How much is there? Some spit up is ok.

DoggyDaycare Tue 09-Dec-14 18:18:11

Its so hard to tell as it spreads out, but I'd say perhaps a tablespoon or slightly less. The fact that it is stringy so is partially digested is what gets me worried- does your baby's spit up look like that? Do you know what causes the fussiness? Thanks

squizita Tue 09-Dec-14 18:21:03

Mine sometimes has just milk, sometimes a little curdled. The GP said it was OK and she's gaining. Ask your GP perhaps?

Mine fusses out and about! Wants to see everything.

DoggyDaycare Tue 09-Dec-14 18:25:31

Thanks for that, good to know the GP thinks its OK...just trying to figure out why he has suddenly stopped gaining weight properly.

Because he was on the 2% line he hasn't really got a lot of room for manoeuvre.

Sometimes he does fuss when out but sometimes it is in his evening feeds when he is normally totally relaxed with eyes shut, can't quite figure out what the trigger is.

squizita Tue 09-Dec-14 18:37:29

Sometimes growth slows when a part of them (brain, hands etc) is growing - or so I've been told. Also pains like teething and jabs cam cause blips.

DoggyDaycare Tue 09-Dec-14 18:49:08

That is really interesting to know about brain or hands growing....the HV also thought it was a teething issue. He is supposed to have his 4 month jabs in a couple of days so I hope that doesn't make things worse.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now