Talk

Advanced search

Can you get nipple shaped teats to fit the mendela bottles? Or cheap alternative recommendation please?

(8 Posts)
rachysetty Mon 08-Dec-14 19:15:52

I have a 6 week old, who I would like to express a bottle for an get Daddy to a bottle in the evening. My son did it easily (although I was able to start a lot earlier with him - had flu and milk was too low to express, let alone last the whole day for a couple of weeks) but my daughter is a hell of a lot fussier. I bought a couple of bottles to go with my mendela swing pump, but she won't take the standard teats. (she'll take an once but falls asleep as she has been so upset from refusing the bottle - kind of negates the point of the whole thing). I've tried over several days and she is having none of it.

I cannot see that Mendela do the nipple shaped teats, but does anyone know if another brand will? They look standard size neck bottles, so was wondering if a standard neck in another brand will fit?

If not does anyone know a cheap alternative for a couple of bottles which you can get the nipple shaped teats for? I used the tommee tippee from six months for my son, but these weren't cheap, so if somone can suggest another that would be great.

Many thanks in advance

Anotherdayanotherdollar Sat 13-Dec-14 16:15:40

I know it's not what you were asking for, but medela do a special (expensive) bottle for ebm. It's called a calma bottle and meant to mimic a bf so baby has to keep sucking to get milk, unlike a normal bottle where milk will drip through the teat even if baby doesn't suck. Think it's about €20 per bottle so not a cheap alternative!

jessplussomeonenew Sat 13-Dec-14 16:53:31

You can buy the calma teat on its own - try Boots online or Ebay. It's not as wide as some teats but definitely wider than the standard Medela. Do you have anyone who could lwnd you a few different types to try as experimenting can get expensive!

mangofizz Sat 13-Dec-14 18:52:58

Tommee Tippee are always on offer on Amazon, I would have thought they are one of the cheapest brands about. Mothercare have the Xmas tommee tippee ones reduced but not sure how much they are/how they compare price wise to ordinary ones

stargirl1701 Sat 13-Dec-14 20:18:11

Medela bottles fit the Calma teats and normal teats. Here:

www.medela.com/IL/en/breastfeeding/products/breastmilk-feeding/breastmilk-bottle-with-teat.html

squizita Sun 14-Dec-14 12:11:13

Lansinoh now do specific bottles for ebf babies. Mother care stock them. I've found them brilliant!

rachysetty Mon 15-Dec-14 09:19:53

I've bought a tommee tippee and will give that a go, if not I'll try the Lanisnoh one - I didn't realise they did bottles, so great pointer on that one. I have a Calma from Medela which came with the pump. I understand that it is good for using when breastfeeding as baby has to work to get the milk therefore not building a preference for easy flow bottles over breast. However it is not shaped like my boob! That's her problem I think; I've tried expressed milk and formula to see if it's the taste but that makes no difference to the look of disgust in her face lol. Hopefully I'll find something that works as would like to go out for an evening without a child attached to me and also get a few early nights. xxx

stargirl1701 Mon 15-Dec-14 13:11:23

DD2 is ebf and happily takes the NUK bottle with latex teat.

www.nuk.co.uk/category/products/bottle-feeding/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now