Talk

Advanced search

frequency of feeds

(6 Posts)
TheGirlAtTheJingleBellRockShow Sun 07-Dec-14 11:12:30

DD is 5 months old, weighs 13lb - has been following 9th centile since a few weeks after birth. She was a month early. She was in NICU tube fed for 2 weeks. Discharged once reliably breastfeeding and gaining weight.
In the early days she fed (EBF) every 2 hours, then dropped to 3 hourly during the day around 3 months old. Now I try to feed her around 3 - 3.5 hourly and she cries and refuses to feed. After another 30-60 minutes she'll feed. She used to have reliable hunger cues but these disappeared at 4 months old and now she goes from 0-screaming in a few seconds.
4 hours between feeds seems a long time. Is this normal at this age? (all ages given are actual, not adjusted) I don't want her weight to be affected, we haven't started weaning yet and I don't feel she's quite ready.

squizita Sun 07-Dec-14 11:37:37

Does she feed strongly and for a while?
Are her nappies ok?

TheGirlAtTheJingleBellRockShow Sun 07-Dec-14 11:43:21

She feeds for 15+ minutes but falls asleep while feeding so not all of that is proper sucking.
Still having wet and dirty nappies

squizita Sun 07-Dec-14 11:50:24

My dd (9th percentile) feeds 10-20 min, hv and gp said that was fine. She falls asleep sometimes: I gently blow/stroke her face and also compress my breast. This starts her suckling.
Or I just wait it out if I'm watching TV as she wakes up to feed after a couple of mins!

TheGirlAtTheJingleBellRockShow Sun 07-Dec-14 12:02:29

I leave her till she pops off the breast, if I try to u latch her she'll start sucking again. Her actual feeds seem fine, it's the 4 hours between just doesn't seem frequent enough in my mind.

squizita Sun 07-Dec-14 12:13:34

You could ring an advice line and ask, I'm sure it is ok. But they'd know what's ok. If she was used to 2-3 hr feeds she'd ask for them again if she needed it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now