Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

BF with a cold -advice

(15 Posts)
squizita Fri 05-Dec-14 09:52:52

Asking in advice as DH has a cold so chances are I will get it and let's face it dd! Thankfully she's old enough for calpol.

I know bf will help protect her but is no magic bullet!

Any tips in case a stuff nose and sore throat affect her comfort feeding? She is ebf but happily takes expressed bottles too.

Forewarned is forearmed as they say!

stargirl1701 Fri 05-Dec-14 09:55:53

I am using a saline nasal spray with DD2 who is 15 weeks. I have also put Olbas Oil for children in a bowl of warm water on the radiator.

She is feeding ok but being sick quite often. The sick is mostly mucous <yuck>

bouncinbean Fri 05-Dec-14 10:05:49

when DD had a stuffed up nose and it was affecting her bf I would take a beanbag into the bathroom to feed her - stick the shower on full blast, every so often a few drops of olbas oil and get the room all hot and steamy and it would help clear her nose.

squizita Fri 05-Dec-14 10:18:48

Ooh super tips thanks! smile
I have saline, will get some olbas oil (I have some tea tree oil I suppose would work similarly?) She's a little snuffley today but cool and ok. Hope she takes after dh (gets coughs and sore throats) not me (ultimate red nose snot monster).

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 05-Dec-14 17:15:21

Saline spray. And prop the cot at one end to raise her head a bit.smile

squizita Fri 05-Dec-14 17:27:02

Thanks. grin

PenguinsandtheTantrumofDoom Fri 05-Dec-14 17:28:25

A Next Directory is the perfect height we findgrin

squizita Fri 05-Dec-14 17:29:54

Cool! Will stop me looking at crap I don't need and can't afford in there!

Heatherbell1978 Fri 05-Dec-14 20:26:49

15 wk old DS1 has a cold just now and I regularly use the snot sucker and nasal spray. He's struggling to feed a bit as he's blocked up so having to take him off and suck snot in between....nice! I'm also using vapour rub on his chest and put a bowl of water on the radiator to make the room more humid. To be honest he's only been obviously miserable one day/night, otherwise he's his normal self.

Sunflower1985 Fri 05-Dec-14 22:32:22

At bath time I tip extra water over my ds's head when I'm washing it. It loosens up the crusty snot, together with the steam, and I wipe his nose to clear it.

squizita Sat 06-Dec-14 10:34:29

Heatherbell where would I buy a snot sucker? Sounds disgusting and incredtibly useful at the same time! That was what I was thinking- sucking with a bunged nose must be unpleasant for them.

DH is doing all the housework today with his cold, because he can't help with the childcare (he doesn't want to sneeze on dd) bless him.

Heatherbell1978 Mon 08-Dec-14 20:41:04

squizita I'm fairly sure I got it at Boots. It's great but baby needs to be in the mood for it! DH gags doing it so it's all down to me!

squizita Tue 09-Dec-14 10:13:09

Well dd seems chipper.
DH and I are streaming with it and have been for days.
She seems to just snuffle and sneeze a bit and baby olbas oil on a muslin is enough.
hopes she has a mighty mighty immune system but it could just be delay...
Fingers crossed!

TheGirlAtTheJingleBellRockShow Tue 09-Dec-14 19:21:43

We used saline nasal spray (she hated it) and some snuffle babe on a comforter in her cot.

squizita Tue 09-Dec-14 19:25:25

Thanks! Have baby olbas oil so will use that on a comforter.
She's a bit fussy on the breast and sniffy, but so far so good compared to me!! I'm like rudolph!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now