Talk

Advanced search

Is this mastitis?

(8 Posts)
bronya Fri 05-Dec-14 07:12:05

Pain in breast started in the night - felt like a pulled muscle but there are no muscles there. Now it's worse there (sort of underneath the right side) but has radiated out. Hurts on let-down, really hurts when I move around, throbs gently the rest of the time. Hot and tender to touch.

If so, if I get antibiotics today, how long will it last?

Angelhairscruff Fri 05-Dec-14 19:58:02

That does sound like mastitis, yes get antibiotics ASAP as you'll start to feel fluey as well. Antibiotics will start to work straightaway and you'll feel better very quickly

Alwaysinahurrynow Fri 05-Dec-14 20:00:51

Sounds like it. Mine came on super fast - walked to doctors for newborn appt and then was too exhausted to walk back. Rest, lots of water, hot showers and massage all help, but antibiotics definitely work.

bronya Fri 05-Dec-14 21:45:31

Thanks - GP confirmed it was, and prescribed antibiotics. Spent most of the afternoon in a fluey haze, but they are starting to work now. Had no idea I could feel that ill with it! Was quite interesting with two small children to look after.

NotQuiteCockney Fri 05-Dec-14 21:52:31

When you have a small red patch, and aren't yet feeling fluey, it could just be a blocked duct. If you feed with your baby's chin to the lump/patch, sometimes it will clear, and you won't end up on antibiotics. Just an FYI.

Angelhairscruff Fri 05-Dec-14 21:53:11

Yes it makes you feel awful, and surprising how quick it comes on. You'll feel better soon I'm sure.

bronya Sat 06-Dec-14 16:20:41

Brilliant tip NotQuiteCockney - doing that is lessening the pain in the breast so it helps even after infection has set in!

NotQuiteCockney Sun 07-Dec-14 20:10:43

Ah, glad to hear it's helping!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now