Talk

Advanced search

How can I stop 10mo DD biting me?

(5 Posts)
ButtfaceMiscreant Thu 04-Dec-14 08:59:07

My DD is 10mo and every so often, usually when a new tooth is imminent, she will nip me when bfing. Lately, however, she has really started to hurt me, drawing blood on one occasion. Just now, having her post-breakfast feed, she bit me, drew her head back (still holding on) and laughed.

I really really don't want to stop breastfeeding until DD is ready to stop, but I can't take the biting much longer sad. I've tried pulling her off/putting her down/pressing her into my breast so she lets go as I've seen these recommended before, but they don't work. She continues to bite me and makes breastfeeding something I'm beginning to not enjoy as much anymore. It is making me really upset.

She has also decided in the early hours that she has to sleep latched on, which means I'm getting next to no sleep (reluctantly Co-sleeping so I can have some sleep - all guidelines followed etc). If any of you have any tips to night wean I'd be really grateful. I don't want to stop breastfeeding, but I might have to if this goes on too much longer.

Angelhairscruff Fri 05-Dec-14 20:00:21

My baby used to do this to me when she was weaned, I figured out in the end that I hadn't cut back on the breast feeding as much as I should have, as she was on solids, drinking water etc. she was only biting when she didn't really want milk, when I cut it back a bit, the biting stopped.

ceridwyn Fri 05-Dec-14 21:30:49

I agree with Angelhairscruff. DS started to bite when he first got teeth at 7 months. At first I took him off the breast for five minutes each time which resulted in much wailing. Then I realised he needed to bite and wasn't interested in teething toys so I upped his solid food, particularly things that need to be chewed. He still nips occassionally when getting a new tooth but he doesn't wail when I remove him now, he grins and chuckles. grr. I'm not sure if it's affection or attention!

AdorableAbbie Sat 06-Dec-14 12:08:17

Before, my DD also bites me when I bf her,what I do is I hold her head and push it slowly towards my breasts to stop her from biting me, and it really works.

ButtfaceMiscreant Tue 09-Dec-14 15:25:39

Thanks for your replies. I will try upping her solid intake although she doesn't eat much at lunchtime so I will encourage more snacks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now