Talk

Advanced search

baby dislikes one boob

(3 Posts)
mrsmilkymoo Wed 03-Dec-14 15:40:42

17 week old dd has always had a preference for the right boob, but normally will take the left after a bit of persuading. Today however she refused it and has been on the right for her last two feeds (she only ever seems to want one boob at each feed). The left was feeling full and uncomfortable so I expressed with a manual pump and in just a few minutes expressed 5.5oz. I rarely express as she won't take a bottle but it seemed to be coming out very fast and almost frothing, so I was wondering if overactive letdown could be the problem? It didn't feel drained either so ten minutes later when she wanted a feed, I popped her on to it to see if she'd take to it better, and she did, and is feeding away happily now. If this sounds like overactive letdown, is there anything I can do to improve it?

VertdeTerre Wed 03-Dec-14 19:05:26

I have a fast let down, the amount you expressed and the fact that she only takes one boob per feed sounds as though you might have the same. Do you get a lot of choking and spluttering?

I've found reclining to feed helps ( the milk has to work against gravity a bit). Also expressing a little bit off can help, but just be careful that you're not taking off too much as you may end up stimulating the breast to produce more. Just take off the first spurts IYSWIM.

DD is 26 weeks now and it seems to have calmed down a bit, so there is hope smile

mrsmilkymoo Wed 03-Dec-14 19:33:50

Thanks for replying! Yes, she definitely chokes and splutters, but mainly on the left. It just seems too violent for her, although she does sometimes laugh when she pops off after a few sucks and gets squirted in the face.

Reclining is a good idea, I will try that. Thinking about it, she seems to cope better when I feed her in bed, and I guess I am a bit more laid back there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now