Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else BFing past a year? A chatty thread.

(61 Posts)
JollyCrumbs Tue 02-Dec-14 19:24:31

Hello!

Am 15mo into BFing my second DC and going through a phase of feeling a bit unusual for keeping up demand BFing this long.

I know there are loads of others out there. How is feeding going for you all?

Chaby Tue 02-Dec-14 19:27:36

we are just down to a morning feed and an evening feed now (my ds is one next week). he rarely asks for feeds at other times, usually just if he is a bit poorly. i have found lots of groups on facebook quite helpful in terms of normalising and supporting feeding older babies eg the leaky boob group.

DoingTheSwanThing Tue 02-Dec-14 19:29:50

Currently buried under 27mo twins, hello! Am a long way past caring what anyone else thinks... It's still important to them so we'll keep going for the foreseeable. Hate tandem feeding though, this is a necessity as on a deadline tonight!

As long as you're happy, keep on swimming wink 15m is still tiny. Don't forget the WHO recommendations, handy for chucking at anyone who might dare to question your choice.

perfectlybroken Tue 02-Dec-14 19:30:22

Hi, my youngest is 9 months but fed ds1 for 2 years and hope to do the same this time. I love it, but people do tend to find it surprising. I also managed to skip using bottles and go straight to soppy cup which wad useful. My funniest memory with ds1 is him feeding while intermittently munching on a biscuit! How are you finding it op?

RightyTightyLeftyLoosey Tue 02-Dec-14 19:30:56

Hello!
Still feeding boob-monster DS at 2.7! smile

I am v v unusual in my area, don't know anyone else who fed past a year.

cuppateaandtoast Tue 02-Dec-14 19:32:16

Bf 2.8 yo to sleep as a write this. Was never my intention to feed this long. It just worked out that way. He never took a bottle and still needs the comfort.

cuppateaandtoast Tue 02-Dec-14 19:33:26

Nobody except dh knows i still bf ! I havent even told my mum she would be very disapproving!

WerewolfBarMitzvah Tue 02-Dec-14 19:34:50

Hello! We are 17mo and going strong. DS is a little poorly at the moment so feeding quite a lot. Mind you, he still feeds quite often normally anyway.
I had a self conscious phase a few months ago but then I thought how I would have enjoyed seeing an older baby getting fed while we were struggling in the beginning, so just kept my head held high.
None of his friends are still BF but everyone has been very supportive.

JollyCrumbs Tue 02-Dec-14 19:36:36

DD was determined that she wasn't having her bedtime feed tonight unless she could look at a book at the same time grin She has been remarkably easy to feed. Knew what she was doing from day one.

I fed DS for 20mo, but he was fed on a schedule and took bottles no problem. It was very easy to quit BFing him.

I'm not at all looking to stop BFing any time soon, and I'm not too worried about what other people think, it's just nice to have some company smile

Twins! Oh my goodness, well done you! Am in awe of anyone who tandems. I stopped with DS when I was pregnant with DD as tandeming was on my list of things that I didn't want to do.

Am on facebook and it's quite nice in some groups. I think I'm on the leaky boob page, will have a look smile

MoreSnowPlease Tue 02-Dec-14 19:37:53

I'm having to stop feeding ds1 (2.4) tonight as I can't bf with a new medication I have started today :* I wanted to stop anyway as I hate it but it gets him to sleep! ! So listening to dp read him a story which should make him sleepy and easier to get to sleep when the time comes! Pretty sure he is going to wake ds2 up though when I remind him he can't have a feed.

ExtraVolume Tue 02-Dec-14 19:40:41

Ds is 4 and feeds for a few seconds (not every) morning and (not every) bedtime. He asks for a cuddle more usually now.

I'm a bit over it now but as we are going down the natural term weaning route and he is slowly getting there himself, I feel like I may as well see it through to the end.

Best bits are when they get older and start to mix with other kids. They will get horribley ill at times and you don't have to fret about dehydration and calpol as you have the world's best thing in your bra.

Also when they talk to you about breastfeeding.

smileybadger Tue 02-Dec-14 19:42:34

still feeding my wee beastie shes 2on boxing day..works for ussmilewhats WHO?as I have hv ciming next tuesday and need ammo lol

JollyCrumbs Tue 02-Dec-14 20:09:18

smileybadger www.kellymom.com has a great page on feeding older infants and the health benefits for both mother and child. Unfortunately their site is down right now so I can't link, but all the information there is referenced.

FurryGiraffe Tue 02-Dec-14 20:13:59

DS is 19 months and down to morning feeds only. He's very variable: sometimes very quick, sometimes (if tired/ill) epic in length: he's poorly at the moment and this morning was latched on pretty constantly for 1 hour and 45 minutes hmm.

smileybadger Tue 02-Dec-14 20:15:52

thankyou jollycrumbs...shall stalk link cake

cogitosum Tue 02-Dec-14 20:16:07

Ds is 16 months and feeds loads. Sometimes I love it but recently he just goes from side to side without a break which is hard! Ironically when he was teeny our main issue was he got distracted and wouldn't feed for more than about 2-3 mins!

AnythingNotEverything Tue 02-Dec-14 20:20:38

DD is 13 months and we just feed on a morning now. I've orchestrated dropping all the other feeds so leaving her to this one for now, but I'm nearly 12 weeks pg and would like her to stop in good time before the new baby comes.

I only continued past a year to help her with the transition when I went back to work ... As always it feels easier to keep going that to switch. She drinks very little cows milk and I do worry about her dairy intake.

Quodlibet Tue 02-Dec-14 20:20:52

I'm just coming up to 1yr with DD, who feeds to sleep at night and once or twice if I'm looking after her in the daytime. She has always happily taken a bottle of expressed and we've recently swapped to cow's milk for the odd bottle feed. I'm just seeing how it goes because it is naturally cutting down at her pace currently. She comes and asks to feed now if she is a bit overwhelmed if we are out at a babygroup, and I don't mind feeling like her port in a storm!

avocadogreen Tue 02-Dec-14 20:21:21

I fed DD2 until she was 3.5, so stopped about a year ago. Never particularly meant to feed for that long, she just carried on and there seemed no reason to stop. I like to drop it into conversation sometimes just to shock people/challenge their assumptions grin

Munxx Tue 02-Dec-14 20:23:15

Still feeding 27mo DS morning, naptime and nighttime.

Hello all!

callamia Tue 02-Dec-14 20:25:01

I've got a 13m old DS who prefers to feed to sleep still.
He feeds when he wants when he's not at nursery, and it seems to work well. When he was recently poorly, I was so glad that I still feed him - he kept hydrated and needed lots of cosy hugs. I intend to carry on for a while longer.

HumphreyCobbler Tue 02-Dec-14 20:25:12

I bf my oldest ds until he was 3.5 and weaned him and 18month old DD at the same time. It was just easier to carry on feeding than to give up.

I am now still all night occasionally feeding my 14 month ds. I intended to stop at six months this time, and introduced a bottle at this point, but breastfeeding is so handy! I dislike my massive boobs though and the fact I seem to carry an extra half a stone round my middle when feeding.

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Tue 02-Dec-14 20:28:08

Hiya! My 14 mo DD is so obsessed with breastfeeding. It's like she's a newborn sometimes. I hope she weans before she does her A levels!

In all seriousness I love bfing and she's still so little and cuddly and it's wonderful, I have to remind myself it will be over too quickly.

Always nice to talk to other extended breastfeeders!

JollyCrumbs Tue 02-Dec-14 20:28:50

My 15mo is feeding morning, nap time, bed time. Plus at least 2 feeds in between if we are at home. But if I'm not around she will go from one morning to the next without a complaint.

MeeWhoo Tue 02-Dec-14 20:31:51

smiley, WHO stands for World Health Organisation
www.who.int/topics/breastfeeding/en/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now