Talk

Advanced search

Refusing feed

(4 Posts)
Roxie85 Tue 02-Dec-14 09:11:24

So my dd is almost 1 year old and I have just started to stop breastfeeding.
She did have 2 feeds a day (wake up and before bed). On Friday I stopped her bedtime feed and switched to expressed from the freezer. We tried with a bottle and sippy cup and eventually she had 3oz (not much I know)
Then sat pm we gave her expressed from the freezer and she made a face of disgust and refused it. Made up some formula and refused that so went to bed without her pm feed. She slept through fine and had her usual wake up breast feed.
Since then she has refused her bedtime milk feed (still sleeping ok though) and only has milk from me in the morning. She eats 3 solid meals a day just fine.
My concern is that I am due to give her final breastfeed tomorrow morning and from then she will be given formula/expressed from the freezer in a bottle or sippy cup and that will be her milk feeds. What if she refuses the am feed of formula too??
Is she just protesting as I am not feeding her from me? Does she not like the formula? (It's cow and gate powder, she has had their instant stuff 3 times before but the last time she fed not from me was in August)
Could it be teething related? (She has none so far but they seem imminent)
Surely she is too young to be dropping the bedtime feed.

I'm at a loss what to do. Have even got some formula in a sippy cup in the day to get her used to it but she takes one sip, looks at me and puts it to one side.

She's a small baby so don't want her losing weight and am worried as I know they are supposed to have 500-600ml a day and she is just having about 100ml on her cereal and her am feed from me.

tiktok Tue 02-Dec-14 13:05:36

Hang on in there smile

Keep offering the breast, gently and without pressure.

Try getting in the bath with her and just messing around with her - she might just feed.

In the meantime, add extra milk to her solid foods so she doesn't go short.

It can take a while for a baby to come back to the breast, but a year is very, very early to wean....my money is on her forgetting whatever it is that she didn't like and returning to it.
It will help if you can maintain the morning feed while this 'strike' is going on, though.....maybe dropping it later when things are normalised.

lem31 Tue 02-Dec-14 19:56:54

My niece stopped bf at almost 1 yr, never took a bottle and was allergic to dairy so couldn't take formula/cows milk. She saw a dietician who helped her choose calcium rich foods (halva was a huge hit!) and she was fine.
If you don't have any luck I'd say ask you hv or gp for dietician referral to make sure she has everything she needs in her solid food diet, and try to roll with it. They find their own way!
Good luck either way. X

Roxie85 Wed 03-Dec-14 10:23:50

Thanks for the tips. Have given her last bf this morning (rather emotional) and hoping that she eventually takes milk to drink at some point. She refused again last night but I did up the milk on her cereal today and might just have to keep doing that until she figures it out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now