Talk

Advanced search

Baby only taking one boob - help!

(8 Posts)
CoolCat2014 Sun 30-Nov-14 18:31:04

My 10 week old has suddenly started only feeding from my right, and just cries and pulls off if I try to feed her from the left. I've tried different positions and nothing works unless I start her on the right and the slide her over and hold her awkwardly on the left.

Any clues to why this sudden change?

didiimaginethis Sun 30-Nov-14 18:38:27

Could her neck be hurting to feed from that side? Will she feed from left if you hold her underarm (rugby hold)?

squizita Sun 30-Nov-14 18:44:25

Could it be an ear issue? I was told an ear infection or "popping" ear can cause feeding discomfort. A HV or GP could have a look?

spideysenses Sun 30-Nov-14 18:46:54

Currently feeding dc3, at some point all three have decided to have an odd preference for one side it lasts a few days then back to normal, I have found that lying down feeding on the side they don't want does encourage them to find a position that suits them and they will start again, best of luck!

TheGirlAtTheRockShow Sun 30-Nov-14 18:56:43

My DD randomly starts favouring one side every soften. Normally favours left. If you can rule out ear infection/pain, then just go with it and keep trying to encourage feeding from the other side.

CoolCat2014 Sun 30-Nov-14 18:57:00

I tried rugby ball hold and that didn't help, will give lying down a try, though not terribly practice if I want to go out! She's not shown any sign of being in pain.

spideysenses Mon 01-Dec-14 19:11:33

Any improvement?

eastmidswarwicknightnanny Wed 03-Dec-14 04:02:44

My ds1 now 4yrs did this following a cold at weeks old stopped feeding off left side checked by doctor n no reason hv observed feeds was shocked how distressed he became. He never did feed properly off left until about 6mths old I got him to take it on rousing from a sleep n sometimes in the night otherwise managed just with right n ex bf him n he slept through night from 15weeks.

Just had ds2 hoping it doesn't repeat though as was stressful at the time.

A read through forums n online blogs it's more common than anyone realises that they have an aversion to one breast rather than a general preference for one breast over another.gp, hv and breast feeding workers at bf groups could offer no advice or reasons as to why.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now